Desktop cradle to hold up portables

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB46

Here's what I did way back in the 80s. The stand was actually a wooden dish drying rack bought at Ikea. The angle could be easily made steeper by raising the stand at the back. I can't recall the price, but it was very inexpensive. If there were any devices requiring cables, they could be brought in through the slots in the rack.

By the way, the whole listening post, including the desk and chair, was in a closet, and as you can see by the poster in the background, I was into aviation monitoring at that time.

improvised_radio_stand.jpg

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Here's what I did way back in the 80s. The stand was actually a wooden dish drying rack bought at Ikea. The angle could be easily made steeper by raising the stand at the back. I can't recall the price, but it was very inexpensive. If there were any devices requiring cables, they could be brought in through the slots in the rack.

By the way, the whole listening post, including the desk and chair, was in a closet, and as you can see by the poster in the background, I was into aviation monitoring at that time.

Caught my eye for sure! The hand-held Radio Shack computer brought back memories!

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Mind sending me a link to the STL file? I've got the 3D Printer and would love to have one for my SDS100

I'd love to print one too, but I can't imagine he will want to share the file for an item he's selling.

I've been looking around for an SDS holder (thingiverse etc) and there isn't much out there. Lots for the 436 though....

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
I'd love to print one too, but I can't imagine he will want to share the file for an item he's selling.

I've been looking around for an SDS holder (thingiverse etc) and there isn't much out there. Lots for the 436 though....

I'd pay $10 for the STL file so I could print it myself... Been looking around too & not having any luck. Maybe I can modify the 436 model enough (adjust scaling) to make it useful?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC

Support our after-market accessories contributors! There have been so many improvised fixes and remedies and shortcuts engineered by technically proficient members here that we should have a separate forum section just to list the various inventions and solutions they offer. They work hard doing what they do, and donating to the Cause will only help this wonderful exclusive hobby of ours!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm making these now:

That looks awesome Jon, great work! What kind of 3D Printer are you using and about how long does it take to print one? 3D printing is a technology I haven't played with yet. Everytime I get ready to buy one a better or cheaper one comes out.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The most important feature of a stand for a hand-held scanner is holding the scanner well enough that you can manipulate the keypad without having the scanner slide away from you or rock around.

WB9YBM

I've found some small/medium pieces of scrap sheet metal at work, bent it into an "L", and used that to hold up my portables (they also make cheap & easy bookends)...

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
I can make you a stand or you can download the .stl and print your own. I have lots of colors. I can make a stand for the SDS100, BCD436HP, Baofeng, or any other handheld ya need a stand for. I am not really charging. Just make a donation to help with supplies and shipping. Or, if ya don't have the funds just let me know and we can work something out. I'm just trying to help out fellow hobbyist without trying to fleece anyone. Just PM me if you are interested.

MCKFD34

Thanks for all of the responses - this is great. I ended up getting a plastic book stand. Cheap but works, and radios slide off sometimes. I will improve this now that I have a bunch of good ideas from all of you.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
For improvised or DIY or even consumer stands it is sometimes a good move to buy some sturdy rubber feet for the bottom of it to make it a bit more solid. Also a cut square (to size) of cupboard shelf liner, the padded bubbly kind, to give the scanner a good base to sit on that will not move around or scratch the display. I bought the dark gray small bubble shelf liner @ Walmart and it is perfect. Most of my radios sit on shelf liner pads.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
View attachment 88484

That looks awesome Jon, great work! What kind of 3D Printer are you using and about how long does it take to print one? 3D printing is a technology I haven't played with yet. Everytime I get ready to buy one a better or cheaper one comes out.
I'm using a couple of Creality Ender 5+ modded with enclosures and a few other things. Stands take 9-11 hours to print.

donslade

I like the 3D printed cradle. I may create one for my PSR800 and print it on my little used 3D printer.

I made the one in the attached pictures using a 2.75" wide strip of 0.05" thick aluminum (an old mouse pad I got as a promotion from somewhere). Total less than 12". The aluminum is easy to bend without metal forming equipment, just a couple of pieces of straight steel, a vise and two c-clamps. No fasteners used. I added some small steel plates from an old phone stand for weight and some salvaged non-slip rubber feet. Took all of about 30 minutes after finding the materials. The radio sits at 30 degrees from vertical.

I have another one like it I made almost 30 years ago with 0.10" aluminum but it is in my office and that is not accessible due to CV-19. That one has nicer edges and bends since it was cut and formed on sheet metal forming equipment. That one served will with my PRO-43 and AOR AR-1000 scanners. I need to figure out how to get it back to my home office.

PXL_20200928_175620983.jpgPXL_20200928_175658710.jpgPXL_20200928_175634547.jpg

Norman_24

Hi Jon, I just want to thank you for the lightning-fast delivery of my SDS100 Desk Stand, I am thoroughly thrilled with this piece. A true work of art that holds my SDS100 beautifully, I couldn't ask for better. My SDS100 Battery Clip I purchased from you a few months ago is doing it's job superbly. Again, thanks for creating great products... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.