Desktop cradle to hold up portables

Status
Not open for further replies.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
I like the 3D printed cradle. I may create one for my PSR800 and print it on my little used 3D printer.

I made the one in the attached pictures using a 2.75" wide strip of 0.05" thick aluminum (an old mouse pad I got as a promotion from somewhere). Total less than 12". The aluminum is easy to bend without metal forming equipment, just a couple of pieces of straight steel, a vise and two c-clamps. No fasteners used. I added some small steel plates from an old phone stand for weight and some salvaged non-slip rubber feet. Took all of about 30 minutes after finding the materials. The radio sits at 30 degrees from vertical.

I have another one like it I made almost 30 years ago with 0.10" aluminum but it is in my office and that is not accessible due to CV-19. That one has nicer edges and bends since it was cut and formed on sheet metal forming equipment. That one served will with my PRO-43 and AOR AR-1000 scanners. I need to figure out how to get it back to my home office.

View attachment 92076View attachment 92077View attachment 92079
This is designed a lot like one of the stands that I print.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure. It's just a matter of what color of filament he has on hand. I have most every color imaginable, but Jon may only have black on hand. If you want blue, and Jon can't accommodate you, I'll be happy to make you a blue one in any of the styles that are in my pics.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I am not sure. It's just a matter of what color of filament he has on hand. I have most every color imaginable, but Jon may only have black on hand. If you want blue, and Jon can't accommodate you, I'll be happy to make you a blue one in any of the styles that are in my pics.
Yes if you could make a blue one, that would be ideal. I have viewed Jon's posts and the photos, and if you want to take care of this, please PM me for details. Thank you in advance!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I could do other colors if you're willing to order more than one. Each new filament needs some test printing to verify correct print temperature and other settings.

KO4IPM

I like the idea of being able to 3D print one with my callsign on it. Guess I'll be learning 3D design over the remainder of the holidays!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Jon, are you still making these for sale? I would be real interested in buying one. Could I have a couple pictures and price to ship to Indianapolis,Ind 46227?
Thanks
I'm asking $40, which includes shipping in the USA. There are pics in the attachment link. Or should be..

a417

U+0000
I know what you mean; my scanner desk mount consists of a piece of scrap sheet metal bent in half and corners filed off. Problem solved for a total cost of zero dollars.
I took a piece of a board scrap, some sanding and painting later had myself a custom radio stand. Matches the handmade desktop perfectly.

Pr0ph3t

Does anyone have any neat ideas - I have 3 portable scanners and I like to leave them on my desk but they always tip over. I want to find some sort of nifty cradle of sorts where I can place them in and prevent them from tipping, but still allow them to work. I guess I can work up some narrow box or something, but I was curious if anyone has something like this?

I'm a little late to the party but what I do is simply put it in its charger without plugging it in:

Attachments

• bigjim.jpg
    bigjim.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 32
Status
Not open for further replies.