desktop mic for Iphone 7 and up for echolink, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joehawth

KB1RRG
Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a desktop- style microphone that will connect to an iphone 7 and after, (no 3.5mm jack), preferably wired, that i can use with the echolink app. My apple earpods don't sound that great in the echotest, and i'd prefer the feel of a real microphone in my shack. I found a thread here with the same question from 2010, but nothing recent.
Any recomendations? I suppose bluetooth would be possible too.

thanks!

w2xq

Mentor
Some of the Bose or SONY headsets that include Google Assistant, Alexa and Siri may have such capabilities, but I have never seen any standalone microphones for a smartphone of any brand.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to use any usb desktop style mic of your liking. You'll just need to pair it with a powered usb hub since the phone can't power the mic, and of course a usb to lightning adapter to hook it to your phone. You'll still have to use the ptt button on the echolink app unless there's an option for program a custom button and it cooperates with the mic. This page covers it fairly well. How to Connect an External Microphone to your iOS Device - Digital Inspiration Different application on their end, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for echolink.

joehawth

KB1RRG
thanks that is great info. i ended up ordering this:
i'll probably need a power hub,

i know wish.com is a gamble but i figured i'd give it a shot.

I did see some condenser mics that plug right into an iphone with a lightning port, but they're $100+

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Any USB mic will probably work, but you will need a Lightning to USB3 adapter from Apple. This allows USB devices to connect to the iPhone Lightning port and has a connection to apply power for the device. Most USB mics have headphone jacks to let you hear your own voice with no latency. I just tried it with my Samson Meteor mic and it works fine. You might also consider a Bluetooth headset. This will let you listen to music as well. Shure makes a high quality stereo mic - MV88 that plugs into a Lightning port but it is really intended to provide audio for sound and video. There are also wired Lightning headsets. I have one by Libratone. Expensive but very good. All in all I suggest a good quality Bluetooth headset. You can listen to music and make or receive phone calls.

I just tried the Samson set up with Echolink. It works well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.