Desperate for help with programming the 996P2 for Erie County and Statewide starnet systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrscanner

can't seem to figure out why I hear nothing, new to programming this type scanner, so I probably have something programmed wrong.
Can anyone help?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber

mrscanner

Thank you for responding, this bit of info has helped, Still I'm unsure about a couple things... Do all sites have to be programmed or can just the sites local around me be sufficient to hear on the statewide Starnet system for my vicinity (Meadville)? And are the Statewide Starnet & Erie County Starnet systems considered "Standard P2" or "Single channel P2" since there are only two choices in the Arc XT software?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for responding, this bit of info has helped, Still I'm unsure about a couple things... Do all sites have to be programmed or can just the sites local around me be sufficient to hear on the statewide Starnet system for my vicinity (Meadville)? And are the Statewide Starnet & Erie County Starnet systems considered "Standard P2" or "Single channel P2" since there are only two choices in the Arc XT software?
You should only program the nearest sites you, and if you can receive them maybe add the sites just beyond those. However, programming multiple sites on the system will slow your scanning speed to some extent, so I'd start with the ones closest to you, and/or the ones that get you the best reception.. You definitely don't want to program the sites that are not in range, like on STARNet. I see that there are nine sites for STARNet in Erie county, and two others for Crawford.. See which ones of those give you the best reception.

For the Erie County system, if that interests you, I'd suggest programming programming the Countywide Simulcast.

As Doc's already noted, use Standard P2 for the sites (if you were using FreeSCAN, you'd use P25 Standard (Digital XT)).

mrscanner

You should only program the nearest sites you, and if you can receive them maybe add the sites just beyond those. However, programming multiple sites on the system will slow your scanning speed to some extent, so I'd start with the ones closest to you, and/or the ones that get you the best reception.. You definitely don't want to program the sites that are not in range, like on STARNet. I see that there are nine sites for STARNet in Erie county, and two others for Crawford.. See which ones of those give you the best reception.

For the Erie County system, if that interests you, I'd suggest programming programming the Countywide Simulcast.

As Doc's already noted, use Standard P2 for the sites (if you were using FreeSCAN, you'd use P25 Standard (Digital XT)).
thank yo Steve, there are some settings in Freescan I'm not familiar with such as the tab for APCO settings. how is this pertinent to PA Starnet & Erie county Starnet?

mrscanner

would it be possible for me to email you my Freescan file so you can look at my programmed systems and see if I have it wrong?

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Erie County and can help you with these systems. I'm using Sentinel though, so if you decide to use that I can answer some questions.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
would it be possible for me to email you my Freescan file so you can look at my programmed systems and see if I have it wrong?
You can email it to me, and I'll look it over. Or I could sent you one just for Erie.

UPDATE - nvmd - see attached. Change the .txt file extension to .996 and FreeScan should load it.

Attachments

• BCD996P2 2-16-2020.txt
    79.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.