Desperately need help getting sdr# and dsdplus to play together

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbacal

Premium Subscriber
Where are you having the audio from SDRSharp output to (it should be the virtual audio cable), and within DSDPlus where are you selecting the decoded audio to output? It sounds like your speakers are playing the output of SDRSharp so you'll just hear the control channel data noise.
Yes, I believe that's exactly what's happening. I've tried every output combination I can try, and no go.

I did however discover that the rtl-sdr.bat file stops before completing with a permission error. Maybe I need to delete everything and start over. I honestly can't think of anything else to try.

BM82557

Have you looked at this? --

Reconrider

It's fortunate I'm retired, and have lots of time, because I probably have spent 40 hours trying to get this going. If you could suggest settings, that would be great.

I'm still suspicious that there is a permission problem using the vbe cable since dsd (when I have it configured a certain way) won't allow me to access the vbe cable due to "privacy" settings. It provides instruction that are clearly not meant for win7, suggesting that I go to the privacy settings in control panel (which don't actually exist).
That’s possible. When I get back to my computer today I’m going to take a look at my exact setup and try to get pictures of every step so you can see what I do. It’s possible windows 7 doesn’t have that “way” anymore but you know of a way. Be a few since it’s 6.20am for a reply but I’ll get it for you by 730ish

Reconrider

I can't seem to get sdr# to work correctly on my windows 7 install. But as for the command
Code:
DSDPlus -i1 -o2 -rv -t -E -O NUL -i20002
had no issues working for me.

Run DSDPlus.exe in a cmd window to figure out what number your vb cable is. And replace my -o2 with your #.

My issue is sdr# just freezes while showing no line scope telling me where the RF is currently at so I can't adjust to that even though my frequency is correct.

hruskacha

Premium Subscriber
I can't seem to get sdr# to work correctly on my windows 7 install. But as for the command
Code:
DSDPlus -i1 -o2 -rv -t -E -O NUL -i20002
had no issues working for me.

Run DSDPlus.exe in a cmd window to figure out what number your vb cable is. And replace my -o2 with your #.

My issue is sdr# just freezes while showing no line scope telling me where the RF is currently at so I can't adjust to that even though my frequency is correct.
Sdr# has 32bit and 64bit, ensure you are using the correct one. 32bit often has best compatibility

Reconrider

Sdr# has 32bit and 64bit, ensure you are using the correct one. 32bit often has best compatibility
It had something to do with updates I did. I rebooted the system and it worked again for some odd reason.

rbacal

Premium Subscriber
....and in the end, I am defeated, and giving up on getting this combo to work. Oh well. I hate giving up on anything, and rarely do so, if ever with tech. stuff, but this has me starting to hate sdr. So, best to leave it, and if I want to try again in future, I'll try another computer.

Thanks for all of you who tried to help.

moonbounce

Did you check the PPM of your dongle, an incorrect setting here will result in poor to no reception at all.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
and in the end, I am defeated, and giving up on getting this combo to work.

Just curious why you were looking at that combo in the first place? With what's in DSDPlus today, one can just run 2 bat files and be up and running with no need for sdr# or virtual cables at all. Just Fmp24 and DSDPlus.

What is it you were looking to do exactly as far as listening? Were you looking at scanning and decoding a few freqs or decoding a system?

rbacal

Premium Subscriber
Just curious why you were looking at that combo in the first place? With what's in DSDPlus today, one can just run 2 bat files and be up and running with no need for sdr# or virtual cables at all. Just Fmp24 and DSDPlus.

What is it you were looking to do exactly as far as listening? Were you looking at scanning and decoding a few freqs or decoding a system?
As is the case for some other people, I prefer a) the interface of sdrsharp and b) the plugins, particularly the frequency manager and scanning ones. The scanning function in fmp24 is virtually useless.

I am primarily using these for finding and identifying other available systems to enter into sdrtrunk, particularly since radioreference doesn't seem to list talkgroups etc in my area (which is ottawa and related).

hruskacha

Premium Subscriber
As is the case for some other people, I prefer a) the interface of sdrsharp and b) the plugins, particularly the frequency manager and scanning ones. The scanning function in fmp24 is virtually useless.

I am primarily using these for finding and identifying other available systems to enter into sdrtrunk, particularly since radioreference doesn't seem to list talkgroups etc in my area (which is ottawa and related).
Did you try using the DSD+ plugin for SDR#? It has a GUI to generate commands for DSD+. DSDPlusUI - The best and only GUI for DSD+ - dsdplusui.com

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I used to do the same thing. Installed 8 vac (virtual audio cable) (not the same as vb cable) and use 6 with unitrunker to feed scanner recorder. The other 2 I use with sdr# and dsdplus.

I click the 1r.bat file and when the window pops up I go in control tab and set it to Passive Digital Monitor. Then go into input tab and select a virtual cable.

In sdr# before starting the dongle, I set the audio output to the same cable I selected in Dsd and then start the dongle.

Or, a different method in sdr#, if one has the Dsd plug-in, is under audio device, all I do is select the virtual cable I set in Dsd and click "Enable aux output". I do not click the start dsd in the plugin. Then just start the dongle.

When you load up Dsd, a few windows load. One of them lists all your input and outputs. Can you post a shot of yours? I will look something like this,

dsdsdsds.JPG

rbacal

Premium Subscriber
I used to do the same thing. Installed 8 vac (virtual audio cable) (not the same as vb cable) and use 6 with unitrunker to feed scanner recorder. The other 2 I use with sdr# and dsdplus.

I click the 1r.bat file and when the window pops up I go in control tab and set it to Passive Digital Monitor. Then go into input tab and select a virtual cable.

In sdr# before starting the dongle, I set the audio output to the same cable I selected in Dsd and then start the dongle.

Or, a different method in sdr#, if one has the Dsd plug-in, is under audio device, all I do is select the virtual cable I set in Dsd and click "Enable aux output". I do not click the start dsd in the plugin. Then just start the dongle.

When you load up Dsd, a few windows load. One of them lists all your input and outputs. Can you post a shot of yours? I will look something like this,

View attachment 119252
Dave I tried your first method, and this is what pops up.
errormicrophone.jpg

rbacal

Premium Subscriber
Someone was having a similar issue with privacy and windows 10. DSDPlus, Unitrunker and Windows 10

Steps for win 7 might be slightly different but the concept is the same. Have you went in and allowed your mic permission?
oddly enough the steps ARE apparently quite different. I did try modifying via the .reg file, but no dice. All the instructions to allow microphone instruct to go to "settings" and then "privacy" neither of which seem to exist in win7.

Reconrider

oddly enough the steps ARE apparently quite different. I did try modifying via the .reg file, but no dice. All the instructions to allow microphone instruct to go to "settings" and then "privacy" neither of which seem to exist in win7.
Any chance you can install teamviewer and allow me access with the ID and passcode? You have control of the computer as well while you can watch me do it.
Program is free and can be uninstalled afterwords very easily.

I'm a little better hands on since my windows 7 is a virtual machine being produced by my windows 10 machine so it acts a little differently than a full windows 7 system.

Send me a DM if you want to try this way with the ID and passcode - you can end session at any point you'd like by clicking the X button I think in the bottom right corner. We can communicate through a notepad using text.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I get an error asking me to install "whatever framework" which I did.
Windows 7 comes in both 32 bit and 64 bit. Is your Windows 32 or 64 and which version of the framework did you install?

Seem to remember something a while ago (think was with Sdr#) saying if you had 64 bit Windows you needed to install 32 bit version as Sdr# only comes in 32 bit.

What program was asking for framework? DSDPlusUi or Sdr# ?

It might be worth doing the Team viewer with @Reconrider since he has been using these programs for a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.