Details of Proud Boy Baofeng usage on January 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbella

Premium Subscriber
I would like to think that with the amount of sensitive buildings there, RF monitoring would be heightened.

RFI-EMI-GUY

"It is highly likely that prosecutors learned the three details included in that detention motion — that Nordean had been put in charge, that the Proud Boys were using Baofeng radios set to frequency 477.985, and that part of the plan was to disperse the men to increase chances of success — from the unindicted co-conspirator and or devices seized from him when he was first arrested. "

Apparently there is a TV channel in use nearby that 477.985 MHz falls within. Was that a deliberate choice?

Septa3371CSX1

"It is highly likely that prosecutors learned the three details included in that detention motion — that Nordean had been put in charge, that the Proud Boys were using Baofeng radios set to frequency 477.985, and that part of the plan was to disperse the men to increase chances of success — from the unindicted co-conspirator and or devices seized from him when he was first arrested. "

Apparently there is a TV channel in use nearby that 477.985 MHz falls within. Was that a deliberate choice?
I'd bet that was done on purpose. Who would think to look in that range if a television station is in that area?

prcguy

I suspect its a coincidence there is a TV transmitter covering that frequency in DC and the radio users were not aware of that. Where I live most of the TV transmitters are nearly 50mi away and on 5,000ft mountains and you can easily talk within their digital carrier close range with walki-talkies. In DC I suspect the TV transmitters are closer to ground level and TV sets putting a higher signal level into radios on the same frequency. It would take field strength measurements or calculations in advance to determine if radios would work well in that environment and benefit from hiding within a digital TV carrier for concealment. I doubt the people in question had that kind of knowledge.

I'd bet that was done on purpose. Who would think to look in that range if a television station is in that area?

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Now if we could only find out what radios Antifa are using. Of course, when it's journalism students themselves doing the crime, don't expect an answer from anyone in the media

"“Some members of the group communicated by radio, used shields, threw projectiles at police"

jbella

Premium Subscriber
As always it degenerates into political nonsense. <majorrolloftheeyes>

Probably just as much dumb and dumb luck. During a march/protest/whatever 2 summers ago, someone was trying to 'jam' a UTAC channel. that was being used as tactical/PD interop. The dummies were on simplex not repeat.

jparks29

John McClane
Now if we could only find out what radios Antifa are using. Of course, when it's journalism students themselves doing the crime, don't expect an answer from anyone in the media

"“Some members of the group communicated by radio, used shields, threw projectiles at police"

99% are FRS, some were using UHF itinerant frequencies and getting yelled at by licensed users to get off their frequency... at least that's what has been observed in the Seattle - Portland I5 corridor.

Status
Not open for further replies.