Detecting any radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

emre

Hi every one.
Can I find any type of radar with rtlsdr from 100 mhz to 3 ghz band range..if it is okey which parameters and settings must be done and how it will be understood that is a radar peaks.and also modulation..is it possible.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Hi every one.
Can I find any type of radar with rtlsdr from 100 mhz to 3 ghz band range..if it is okey which parameters and settings must be done and how it will be understood that is a radar peaks.and also modulation..is it possible.
Which type(s) of radar are you interested in? There is not really a modulation, it is either very rapid pulses, or a steady signal, most are the former. (Like what airports and ships use, which are air search and surface search.)

Radars are going to be "line of sight" transmissions, without getting into some military specific uses.

prcguy

Simple marine radar may not have modulation but many other types do. You will also find frequency sweeping along with modulation on some. The lowest marine radar band is above 3GHz and probably out of range for most SDR receivers. If your line of sight to an airport you might pick up various radar that can operate in the L-band range. There is also some UHF radar on AWACS type aircraft that wreak havoc in the 420 to 450MHz range.

I'm not up on most HF radar except for some for scanning ocean waves and you will find these radars around 5MHz, 25Mhz and other HF frequencies. They will show up on an SDR waterfall as angled sweeps. There have been some recent postings on RR from knowledgeable people on other HF radars.

Status
Not open for further replies.