Detecting/Determining PL Tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caboosey

What scanners can tell you what frequency is using what PL Tone?

I have a PRO-528 and a BC780XLT. Some dont ask for PL tones and read that some require PL Tone programmed. So hows mine scanner work with PL Tones if they do and how does PL Tones work with the ones that need PL tone programmed?

Last edited:

n4yek

I know nothing about the 528 but the 780 can search for the tone. Enter the menu and I believe its under tone data. It gives you a few options to chose from and one of them is 'search'. Once you select that, everytime it stops on a transmission, it will search for the tone and will flash the tone once it is found.

wb0wao

The Pro-528 does not do CTCSS/DCS tones - there is no capability to set them in that scanner (I have one). It is not manditory for you to have this capability in a scanner, it is nice to have and can be quite useful - but you can still monitor a channel without it.

Dennis

fineshot1

What scanners can tell you what frequency is using what PL Tone?

I have a PRO-528 and a BC780XLT. Some dont ask for PL tones and read that some require PL Tone programmed. So hows mine scanner work with PL Tones if they do and how does PL Tones work with the ones that need PL tone programmed?

FYI - There are NO scanners that require CTCSS or DCS tones to be programmed into a memory.

This is optional for the user. If you know the tone then you can program it in. If not simply leave
it as carrier squelch(CSQ) and you will hear all transmitions on this freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.