• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Detecting encryption protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if software exists that can detect what type of encryption is being used on a particular radio system (ADP, AES, DES, etc)? Let me make it clear that I'm NOT trying to crack keys or anything like that...I simply want to know what protocols are being used.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do you want to know next weeks lottery numbers too.........

n9zas

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I personally haven't been exposed to encryption enough to know the differences in the sound, but I do have this document that might help you:

http://www.akardam.net/moto/docs/mirrored/encryption.pdf

I know DES-OFB & ADP sound the same (those are the 2 I've heard around Charlotte). I'd be interested in knowing if there's any hints that give away the protocol in use.

Thanks for the link! Yes, encryption all sounds the same (garbled), and it's hard to determine what's exactly being used. What I'm looking for is something maybe similar to pro96com (that one we all know picks up activity on a P25 control channel). For clarification purposes, I'm trying to find software (if it even exists) that can monitor talkgroup activity and see what flavor of ENC is being used.

MattSR

Its easy. Download OP25 from OP25 and run the wireshark plugin. It will tell you the protocol in use.

Heres a screencap of an encryption channel. YOu can see in the middle under Encryption Sync that the Algo is DES-OFB (AlgID 0x81) and the KeyID is 0x1007.

AFP4.png

MattSR

I'd be interested in knowing if there's any hints that give away the protocol in use.

No hints needed - P25 sprays this information over the channel in the clear every 360ms. Encryption Algorithm ID and Key ID is transmitted in the HDU header packet and the ES Sync fields of the LDU2 voice frame.

This information is used so the radio can select the correct encryption key in a multikey environment.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Its easy. Download OP25 from OP25 and run the wireshark plugin. It will tell you the protocol in use.

Heres a screencap of an encryption channel. YOu can see in the middle under Encryption Sync that the Algo is DES-OFB (AlgID 0x81) and the KeyID is 0x1007.

Matt, I made every attempt to follow those instructions you listed, and still no luck. Is that OP25 program even compatible with Windows? I saw something on there about Linux which was all foreign to me. I was looking for something more straightforward that I could simply download, run, and plug the scanner in to snag data. OP25 wants me to do something with a source code, then build out. Seems a bit complicated to setup. At any rate, I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond. Looks like a pretty sweet program :).

SCPD

QRT
Seems a bit complicated to setup. At any rate, I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond. Looks like a pretty sweet program :).
OP25 is built on GNU radio. Its a framework, not an application. Most of the examples assume a USRP as the receiver.

DSD might be an option to run out-of-the-box. I don't know if it displays algID and keyID. You would need a radio tapped for discriminator audio.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
OP25 is built on GNU radio. Its a framework, not an application. Most of the examples assume a USRP as the receiver.

DSD might be an option to run out-of-the-box. I don't know if it displays algID and keyID. You would need a radio tapped for discriminator audio.

Thanks! I'll look into it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.