• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Determining a radius cp200 freq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messereric

Hey, I bought a Baofeng UV-82 the other day and was wanting to connect it to my work radios which are Motorola Radius CP200 4 channel. I found the frequency but it looks like there additional programming thats prventing me from transmitting. I can recieve but its rough and static.

Can anyone tell me or direct me to an answer? Would love to get my Baofeng connected to my work radios.

Josh85

Premium Subscriber
Could it be your Baofeng is looking for a narrowband signal and your work radios are still wideband? (or vice versa)

Other than possibly a TPL/DPL problem... not sure what would be going on.

Messereric

Could it be your Baofeng is looking for a narrowband signal and your work radios are still wideband? (or vice versa)

Other than possibly a TPL/DPL problem... not sure what would be going on.

Yeah that was the first thing I tried was the wide and narrowband. Believe I have it set to narrow at the moment and I'm getting something. But I'm only able to get a scan on the DCS (DPL) at 116N. CTCSS (CPL) just scans through all tones and never dials in. So I'm assuming its set to DCS.

I did have aome luck last night and believe I am recieving to the Baofeng, rough but there was some feedback to it. Still no transmitting.

I ordered a usb cable for the CP200, think theres a way to connect it to a computer and just vidw what freq's are set to the 4 chanels?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I ordered a usb cable for the CP200, think theres a way to connect it to a computer and just vidw what freq's are set to the 4 chanels?

You need Commercial Series CPS from Motorola Solutions, which costs around $260 for a subscription.

Also, you might want to obtain permission from work before programming a radio on their (presumably) licensed part 90 frequencies for transmitting.

D

Drake1731

You need Commercial Series CPS from Motorola Solutions, which costs around $260 for a subscription.

Also, you might want to obtain permission from work before programming a radio on their (presumably) licensed part 90 frequencies for transmitting.

I thought you could get the CPS? The Customer Programming Software for free, at least I did a few days a go.
Maybe I didn't read it right and misunderstood, I don't know.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I thought you could get the CPS? The Customer Programming Software for free, at least I did a few days a go.
Maybe I didn't read it right and misunderstood, I don't know.

Not for the CP200. For business radios sold at retail (e.g. the RDU series) they have basic software available but it will not let you change frequencies other than what is pre-programmed from the factory.

Radio such as the CP200 are sold through dealers and the software is sold by Motorola Solutions on a subscription basis. These are more advanced radios that allow for programming on frequencies across much wider rangers of frequencies. You can only operate on frequencies which you are licensed for.

You have to register for an account at http://businessonline.motorolasolutions.com and purchase the software from them.

Messereric

I don't need to change the frequencies on the work radios, I just to need figure out what they are. And my work doesn't mind me tapping into them. We don't broadcast sensitive data accross them or anything, only use them to contact maintenance or the material handler.

I've asked riund at work but no one knows how to find or figure out what is it.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I don't need to change the frequencies on the work radios, I just to need figure out what they are. And my work doesn't mind me tapping into them. We don't broadcast sensitive data accross them or anything, only use them to contact maintenance or the material handler.

The issue is one of their license, part 90 licenses are for a specific number of radios. Adding radios in excess of what they are licensed for could be a problem. IJS. But if they say it's okay...

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
That's easy. We can just look them up in the database. All businesses licensed are in the database. What's the name of the business?

Or use a scanner's "close call" function to determine frequency and tone. If you don't have one perhaps someone the OP knows has one and he could borrow it. The license would give the frequency but he would still need to know the tones being used, assuming they are using them.

rapidcharger

Or use a scanner's "close call" function to determine frequency and tone. If you don't have one perhaps someone the OP knows has one and he could borrow it. The license would give the frequency but he would still need to know the tones being used, assuming they are using them.

Scanners and frequency counters and the like require having one of the transmitters nearby and that's a big inconvenience. :) The database may or may not have the tones, it depends on which database. Here on RadioReference, most of what's in the database here has tones. If not, there's only 39 standard PL tones, and only about 10 or 15 of those are commonly used. It would be easy to guess.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Scanners and frequency counters and the like require having one of the transmitters nearby and that's a big inconvenience. :) The database may or may not have the tones, it depends on which database. Here on RadioReference, most of what's in the database here has tones. If not, there's only 39 standard PL tones, and only about 10 or 15 of those are commonly used. It would be easy to guess.

Which, since it is his work radio he is wanting to copy the frequency from, this shouldn't be a problem at all. Again, this is assuming he or someone he knows has a scanner (or a radio with the feature) to search for the tone; it should be relatively simple to take the scanner (or radio) and search it out. He said he has the OK to program his radio so I doubt they'd care he searched for the proper tone. I don't own one of the Baofeng radios but if they are keypad programmable then your method of just going through the tones until hitting on the right one would also be relatively simple, I agree.

The db on here is very useful but not all businesses are listed.

Messereric

I don't think we're licensed because I sesrched for us and didn't find anything. Unless I was using the wrong website (can't remeber it off the top my head).

But we don't have a whole radio comm center set up with scanners and what not. We have maybe 5-8 radios and a 6 way charge station. Aside from that, no one he really knows anything about them. We always send them off for repairs or for whatever needs to be done with them.

rapidcharger

I don't think we're licensed because I sesrched for us and didn't find anything. Unless I was using the wrong website (can't remeber it off the top my head).

But we don't have a whole radio comm center set up with scanners and what not. We have maybe 5-8 radios and a 6 way charge station. Aside from that, no one he really knows anything about them. We always send them off for repairs or for whatever needs to be done with them.

You can get in a lot of trouble if you get caught transmitting without a license. That's pretty serious. If you tell me the business name and zip code I'll check the more inclusive offline database.

Messereric

I figured it out, my radio scanned in on some off freq before. Searched for the company and zip with radio frequency in the search bar and found a local site that listed us. We have 3 frequencies but only use 1 and have it listed as 40 radios but really only have about 20 and only use 6. Asked my supervisor bout it and he said it was ok, if anything was questioned, mine will fall under one of our work radios since we have 20 slots not in use.

Thanks for the help everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.