Detroit Area Scanner Shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm looking for a scanner/radio shop in the Detroit/Port Huron corridor that may actually stock scanners. Being only about 40 from the boarder in Ontario I'd like to zip over and pick up a BCT-15. I know I found a place about 4 years ago called (I believe) Abell Electronics in *I think* St. Claire Shores (or vicinity). They had a nice stock of scanner equipment and I was able to walk in and buy a new BC-250D and digital card for a decent price. I can't seem to find any link to them online however. Anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks!

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I had considered buying from them, but they want $90 to ship it. That's the part I'm trying to avoid if I can help it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

DewAddict

There is a store called "Electronic Connection" in Westland but they are very high priced. They do stock scanners though and have lots of electronic stuff. About 70% CB radio and 30% scanner stuff in my opinion.

Also "Citizen Two-Way radio" on West Warren in Dearborn Heights has a few things but there again its mainly CB stuff.

Just FYI USASCAN, from what I have read, will only accept online orders and no local pickup, items must be shipped.

Rob

wjf

Forts said:
I had considered buying from them, but they want $90 to ship it. That's the part I'm trying to avoid if I can help it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Send it somewhere in the US and then drive over and pick it up?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Thanks very much for the input and links guys! I'll check them out and see what the best deal is.

Railscan

DewAddict said:
There is a store called "Electronic Connection" in Westland but they are very high priced. They do stock scanners though and have lots of electronic stuff. About 70% CB radio and 30% scanner stuff in my opinion.

Also "Citizen Two-Way radio" on West Warren in Dearborn Heights has a few things but there again its mainly CB stuff.

Just FYI USASCAN, from what I have read, will only accept online orders and no local pickup, items must be shipped.

Rob

I wouldn't go to 'electronic connection' if my life depended on it! they seem rude and smart aleky! Like you should already know the answer! If I knew the answer I wouldnt be asking!
I went in there to get a battery for my BC296D, and the lady said the battery wasnt the problem. (which it was)

johnvassel

Railscan said:
I wouldn't go to 'electronic connection' if my life depended on it! they seem rude and smart aleky! Like you should already know the answer! If I knew the answer I wouldnt be asking!
I went in there to get a battery for my BC296D, and the lady said the battery wasnt the problem. (which it was)

Bernie and his wife have been in business now for 3 decades... orginally in Canton.
(they moved to that shop when ford was widened from 3 lanes to 5.)
Almost all his stuff is overpriced, and with all the stuff available on the internet, those that know, go elsewhere.
I think he's still living off the radar detector craze of the 80's and 90's, He was "THE" source for radar detectors in the day.

rexen

Abel is still in business. They are on Harper Ave in St. Clair Shores, between 10 and 11 mile rd.

Abel Electronics Co
abelelectronics.com
27201 Harper Ave
St Clair Shores, MI 48081
(586) 777-8232

fnnm400

Premium Subscriber
Local shop

I have a fair amount of radio's in stock, 250D discon. but have a used one. With a phone call we accept customers to come by & visit and make a purchase if they choose too. We're not fancy, but we can get you anything you need. There are few stores lfet for this stuff since there isn't much customer base and the mark up these days is very low. Can't pay the bills on scanners and antenna's alone..

Garry
Public Safety Communications, LLC
888-575-4610

jimmy01

Railscan said:

I could not agree with you more. How do they stay in business? I thought that they were just rude to me. for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.