Detroit Simulcast Changes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
First of all, I have lived in the Chesterfield/New Baltimore area for over 20 yrs. I am close to the water, in an area notoriously bad for reception of some signals. Reception dramatically improves within 2 or 3 miles from my house. Since I got my SDS100 last year, I have only really been able to hear Detroit (on their simulcast site), as to be expected, when I entered the city. Put in an 800MHz glass mount antenna on my car a few weeks ago and it really helped surrounding areas, including Detroit to some degree. Still I had to be within a few miles of the city for consistently good reception. Over the last 24-36 hours, I have been receiving them near 100%, inside my home, using just the Remtronix duck I purchased with the scanner. I thought it might just be a temporary anomaly so I waited before posting this, but reception has been outstanding both in the house & driving around central Macomb County for almost 2 days. Does anyone know if the city or state has done anything to their system/sites ?

smithken

Premium Subscriber
It would appear that something happened. The nearest Detroit simulcast site is about 5 miles away from me and a month or two ago I had a hard time receiving it inside with the stock antenna. Now I have no trouble with the same scanner and antenna.

a29zuk

In the past I have heard the Detroit simulcast in the Flint area. I think it is tropo ducting as it would last 3-4 days in a row.

Jim

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
Well, I did briefly consider the tropo ducting theory for a minute, but I wasn't sure if it happened that high in frequency. I've only heard it firsthand with VHF over the years. I'm wondering now if that might be part of it ? Over the last several hours I have heard nothing. Signal is non-existent again. This is inside my house with the Remtronix duck. I am still getting partial signal in this area in my car with the external antenna.

Smithken, are you hearing it consistently day & night ? I still wonder if the system was beefed up a little. Looking in the DB, it shows most of their tower sites transmitting at 100 watts, but I'm not sure if that's what they've always been or not ? I am about 18 miles from their closest tower, but again my elevation is pretty low here.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
Smithken, are you hearing it consistently day & night ? I still wonder if the system was beefed up a little. Looking in the DB, it shows most of their tower sites transmitting at 100 watts, but I'm not sure if that's what they've always been or not ? I am about 18 miles from their closest tower, but again my elevation is pretty low here.

I have no idea if it's consistent throughout the day, I didn't have Detroit programmed until I saw your post yesterday. Today the signal is not as good but still better than it was in the past.

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
I am inclined to think there is something being done too. I have been using the analyze feature to watch the site signal, leaving it in a fixed position with the Remtronix antenna. It is VERY intermittent. It will be full scale with very high quality one minute, then back to 0 the next. Same result while in the car. I will hear everything loud & clear then the signal disappears for a few minutes. I saw this MPSCS site map in another forum. I don't completely understand some of the features shown, but if you simply count the number of sites shown in the Detroit simulcast box, it's is more than the 9 sites I've seen on the old map & the DB. I guess we'll just have to keep listening & watching the DB for anything new.

Thanks for the input guys !

Attachments

• MPSCS_System_Map_Phase_3_11816_Final_557491_7.pdf
    622.9 KB · Views: 66

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
I saw that the database now shows the system as a 10 site instead of 9, and the range radius is much further north. So what exactly does that mean as far as reception ? It is still very random up here from day to day. I assume the new site is why I have reception here at all, and the database just reflects that now ?

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
The Macomb County system has increased to 14 sites from 9 in the last year or so.

View attachment 100550

Wow, thanks iMONITOR ! I really need to pay closer attention. :) The database still lists Macomb Co as a 9 site system, but there are 14 on the maps. I never noticed the 5 additional sites. I did see the graphic you shared on the state map from another thread, but didn't look at it very closely. Does anyone happen to know what a 'backhaul relay' is ? And is there a way to see where the sites are by the site numbers on the map you posted above ?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Wow, thanks iMONITOR ! I really need to pay closer attention. :) The database still lists Macomb Co as a 9 site system, but there are 14 on the maps. I never noticed the 5 additional sites. I did see the graphic you shared on the state map from another thread, but didn't look at it very closely. Does anyone happen to know what a 'backhaul relay' is ? And is there a way to see where the sites are by the site numbers on the map you posted above ?

You're welcome! One of the new sites is at the Macomb Township, MI. Water & Sewer Facility on Card Rd. I'll post some more when I have more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.