Development Threatens Buckley AFB Mission

Status
Not open for further replies.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Development Threatens Buckley AFB Mission[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Once again, people build homes at the end of a runway[/FONT]

Buckley Air Force Base in Aurora stands to lose its Colorado Air National Guard F-16 fighter jet unit if a plan to build homes under the flight pattern of the field goes forward.
The Air Force sent a letter to Buckley officials last month warning them that, if the 1,000-home Murphy Creek North development, planned for land less than a mile from a runway's end, is built, it would pull the base's 18 fighter aircraft.

The aircraft would turn final at about 1,700 feet AGL over the development, which is currently zoned for research and development. The builders have applied for a zoning change, and Aurora's city planning commission has advised the council to deny it.
The F-16s are currently on 24-hour alert status and fully armed at all times. They typically fly Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays as well as one weekend a month on training missions.

The unit has already moved once, when development forced it out of Lowry Air Force Base in 1966.

In 1942, when Buckley opened, it was over 5,700 acres in the middle of nowhere. That's changed, and the field is surrounded now. Development (and the opening of the new Denver International Airport in 1996) forced the base to shut down an east-west runway.

Aircraft currently use somewhat extreme noise-abatement procedures in an effort to keep neighbors' complaints at bay. Those neighbors were informed when they bought their homes that they were subject to jet noise.

Aurora's Mayor, Ed Tauer, told the Denver Post, "I hope that we can find something that works with the Air Force and keeps the city vibrant."

The Air Force will be at the Aurora City Council meeting on August 28 to ask the members to deny the zoning-change request.

evilklown

Thats a bunch of **** they need to stand up and put a stop to it. its only 1,000 houses that isnt nothing who needs them there houses everywere go to lochbuie if you want to buy a house. i would hate to see that leave..

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I wonder if the F-22 is quieter?
icon3.gif

Urban interfacing and now air base interfacing. :lol:

I don't get people! Oh, the raw sewage plant over here smells, Oh, the animals in my yard, Oh, those noisy jets! Cry me a river!

I guess people like jet fuel all over there property. It's what happens when you live near an air base.

Last edited:

cstockmyer

They think F-16's are loud? Just wait till 938000 and her sister 938001 AKA Air Force 1 and Air Force 1* come in..not to mention the c-17 that takes all the cars/tanks around for the prez. When I was in Tulsa at Spartan f-16's few over a lot, it was like a year round airshow. Unfornately money might win this one...

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
The Vipers are just a little louder than any cargo plane that flys in or out of the base :)

cstockmyer

Can they hang smart bombs and sidewinders off a glider?? Quick someone call Skunk Works! lol

Troop

evilklown said:
Thats a bunch of **** they need to stand up and put a stop to it. its only 1,000 houses that isnt nothing who needs them there houses everywere go to lochbuie if you want to buy a house. i would hate to see that leave..

I'd be willing to bet that the airplane noise is louder in Lochbuie than Buckley...

cstockmyer

Troop said:
I'd be willing to bet that the airplane noise is louder in Lochbuie than Buckley...

Engines on Fighter Jets are very loud, especially when the fly boys kick in the after burner. The engines on the commercial jets are made to be quieter, or if it's an older jet like a 727 it's fitted with a hush kit to keep the noise down. So thoes people who move so close to the runway they use it as a yard, it's quieter.

WaveRunner

I live under the flight path north of DIA and I must be used to jet noise, it doesn't bother me. But I don't agree that they need more houses. If you don't like jet noise, don't buy a house near an airport! :eek:)

KB9LMJ

The sad thing is, those 24/7 alert missions cover a 3-4 state area with the way they are placed now. If they moved from Buckley, where would they go, and how would that affect the alert coverage? I don't see them going to Pete Field, there's talk about moving the ATS to Buckley! And FE Warren wouldn't be able to handle it at this time...another wow I have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.