Device advice for conventional DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyG760

Premium Subscriber
I currently have both an SDS100 and SDS200, which work great for trunked systems. I'm currently trying to sort out a "system" of DMR frequencies, but from what I can make out they're using the frequencies conventionally, not as an actual system. One of the sites I've identified so far seems to be using a repeater, with a 5mHz step, but I have a pile of other frequencies they're also assigned that I'd like to scan through. The SDS100 will do this, but not super quickly, making the identification process trickier. (Obviously this wouldn't be its only use, but it is what I'm at least seeking initially)

I know that it has been mentioned that other, older models scan conventionally quicker, but I'm curious about thoughts anyone has on BCD325P2 vs BCD436HP. The 436 obviously has an advantage of being able to load from Sentinel what I've already built for the SDS100, but how does it perform scanning speed wise? Any pros or cons of one over the other?

Thanks for advice!!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I currently have both an SDS100 and SDS200, which work great for trunked systems. I'm currently trying to sort out a "system" of DMR frequencies, but from what I can make out they're using the frequencies conventionally, not as an actual system. One of the sites I've identified so far seems to be using a repeater, with a 5mHz step, but I have a pile of other frequencies they're also assigned that I'd like to scan through. The SDS100 will do this, but not super quickly, making the identification process trickier. (Obviously this wouldn't be its only use, but it is what I'm at least seeking initially)

I know that it has been mentioned that other, older models scan conventionally quicker, but I'm curious about thoughts anyone has on BCD325P2 vs BCD436HP. The 436 obviously has an advantage of being able to load from Sentinel what I've already built for the SDS100, but how does it perform scanning speed wise? Any pros or cons of one over the other?

Thanks for advice!!

Have you tried programming the frequencies as One Frequency Trunk (OFT)? During a conventionl search when the frequencies are active, does DMR, Cap+, Con appear on the display? That will give you a direction to take.

If it is a OFT system, you can put all the frequencies in one site, put it in ID Search, see talkgroups and Radio ID's which might help identify the user(s).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for advice!!
The 325P2 might scan marginally faster than the 436HP, but the difference is not significant to me. Both appear to be somewhat faster than the SDS series scanners, though the difference is not enough to annoy me.

For your "system" of DMR frequencies that they appear to be using conventionally, as opposed to a full blown trunked system, program each frequency as a 'site' in a DMR One Frequency Trunked system. That will let you see any specific talkgroups being used, and if you find that one 'department' (talkgroup) always comes up on, say, Slot 1, whereas a different one, using the same frequency, shows only on Slot 2, you can specifically program them that way. You can use that OFT system type in a 436HP, or 325P2 (presuming you have the DMR upgrade).

Status
Not open for further replies.