DFR & What3words

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Lately, I've heard Dallas Fire Rescue units asking, at times for the caller's what3words, especially when dealing with a stretch of one of the interstates where there is no other specific landmark, or physical address, easily accessible. For example, last Friday night, DFR Engine 43 requested the caller's 'what3words', for a call somewhere on I-35E that was on the [poorly marked section of Stemmons Fwy between Regal Row & Storey Lane. 660 (DFR dispatch) advised, after a couple of minutes, that the requested information had been added to comments for the call. The engine company found the caller fairly quickly after that info was provided. I'm occasionally hearing references to this app on the Dallas PD patrol channel that covers my area of the city.

More on this app can be found on this Google search results. This is a free app. In some cases, the specific words are generated by a cellphone call, and are available to the call taker.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's a pretty handy solution when the location doesn't come in with the 911 call. It's a lot easier to pass the 3 words over the phone than it is for someone inexperienced trying to read latitude and longitude.
I've heard of a number of dispatch centers using it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Here's a link for a news story on What3Words from WFAA, Ch 8 in the DFW area:

After I saw this last October, I installed the app on my iPhone, While Dallas may be using it, there are other jurisdictions, especially on rural roads, where it's hard to determine an exact location where emergency response is needed.