Diamond 3000N mounting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Am planning to slide the base into a pvc pipe that’s attached to my main pole. Will this mess with reception? Coax goes through the bottom to attach to the discone, discone rests on the top of the pvc pole. Thanks.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Probably will not affect reception. However, not very mechanically sound nor properly grounded for lightning protection.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I have the same antenna as you, mounted on a PVC pole and chimney mount. No problem whatsoever. I did notice that the PVC tends to bend a little over time but I like the ease of use. During the warm months I always detach the coax (RG/6) from any radios. Here for 30 years and no lightning strikes so far (fingers crossed).

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Wasn't paying attention when I ordered my coax a week ago and my LMR400 has PL-259 ends, the Diamond had a N connector. Hate it when that happens. So, order new coax or use a adapter if they make one? Appreciate any help on this.

prcguy

I would find someone locally who can change out the connector to N. A Times EZ connector takes less than a minute to install with no soldering.

Wasn't paying attention when I ordered my coax a week ago and my LMR400 has PL-259 ends, the Diamond had a N connector. Hate it when that happens. So, order new coax or use a adapter if they make one? Appreciate any help on this.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Found a adapter online so will deal with this for now. Was figuring the 3000N was set up like the D220R. Thats what I get for assuming. Think down the road I will buy a kit for splicing coax so I can start doing this myself. Had one many years ago but got away from it so probably chucked it. Oh well, live and learn.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

If it is not too late, have them change the cable. Adaptors are available, but you lose the benefits using the N connector.

Do you have someone that can replace the connector on the cable, if you can't change the order?

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Not to worry, I use a N to F adapter at the antenna and wrap with Coaxseal.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
If it is not too late, have them change the cable. Adaptors are available, but you lose the benefits using the N connector.

Do you have someone that can replace the connector on the cable, if you can't change the order?
I ordered the cable a week before deciding on antenna. Kept going back and forth between the Omni x or discone. Thanks

spongella

Premium Subscriber
What is above 800 MHz to monitor? At this location some police in the lower 800 MHz band, ADSB at 1090 megs, pagers around 930. There are some ham bands in the 900 meg region but never heard any. Wonder what other folks receive above 800 MHz that are of interest?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
About a week ago, using my Icom R30, decided to scan above 1 Ghz just to see if anything would come across. Picked up data stuff in some areas. Once I get my new antenna up, will try it again.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What is above 800 MHz to monitor? At this location some police in the lower 800 MHz band, ADSB at 1090 megs, pagers around 930. There are some ham bands in the 900 meg region but never heard any. Wonder what other folks receive above 800 MHz that are of interest?

Amateur Radio: 902-926MHz, 1240-1300MHz and 2300-2310MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.