Diamond Antenna elements

Airdorn

Hi there.

I just got one of those badass Diamond discone antennas, but when putting it together I dropped one of the tiny set screws for one of those angled long elements, and I can't find it!

I wonder if I can get by without this element, or do I really need to get down on the ground with a bright light and magnifying glass to find that impossibly tiny set screw.

Ubbe

Use threadlock, Locktite, to secure as the screws can easily vibrate loose. Goes for all screws on any antenna that can vibrate in the wind.
You will loose a couple of dB or three in the direction where the missing element are. Have that loss pointing in the least important direction until you get to a hardware store.

/Ubbe

Airdorn

Welp, I went to useless Lowe's with set screw in hand -- they didn't have it.

Anybody happen to know exactly what size these set screws are?

Thanks!

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
"There's your problem right there!".

Find a local Ace hardware. They usually have a MUCH better selection, and employees that would probably help you out.

I have a Diamond discone, but I'm not climbing up there to check the screw size. Maybe someone has one closer to the ground they can reach.
Yep, the local hardware stores have those bins of anything you can think of.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yep, the local hardware stores have those bins of anything you can think of.

My local Ace has set screws in all sizes, SAE and Metric as well as stainless steel (which you want). Just about every Ace I've been into has been the same way.

Even if they do not have it, they can help you determine the screw size/thread pitch, and write that down for you. Then head home and order what you need of Amazon, E-Bay, or any number of online hardware dealers.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
My local Ace has set screws in all sizes, SAE and Metric as well as stainless steel (which you want). Just about every Ace I've been into has been the same way.

Even if they do not have it, they can help you determine the screw size/thread pitch, and write that down for you. Then head home and order what you need of Amazon, E-Bay, or any number of online hardware dealers.
Yes sir. Blows away the box stores, and you can usually talk to someone if you need help. I rather spend a few more buck local if I can.

Ubbe

You don't need it to be the insex type, any screw type will do. It's a metric screw and measure its dimension. If it's 4mm thick it's M4 and 5mm thick is M5. Just use a screw that are short but long enough to reach down to the element it has to secure.

I bought a $20 kid's metal detector at a toy store sale and has saved me many times when I have lost something metallic on the ground.

/Ubbe

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
As others have said- the local hardware store is the way to go. I also suggest using longer screws as they will be easier to handle than the tiny ones Diamond provides. A bit tedious to install.