Diamond antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

I have the Yaesu 70DR/DE ham radio I would like to put the diamond RH77CA antenna on , is this a situation where it is a good match for the radio for transmitting and receiving not sure and I don’t want to transmit using this antenna yet before I do some research anyone know anything about this ?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
1. The Yaesu 70DR has an SMA connector on the radio. The Diamond SMA antenna model is SRH77CA.
2. The Diamond RH77CA uses a BNC connector. This antenna would also work on the Yaesu 70DR, but you would need an SMA to BNC adapter.

I have both the RH77CA and the SRH77CA antennas. They both work to transmit and receive on handheld amateur radios. They also work better than any of the stock antennas that came with the Yaesu handhelds I own.

KO4IPV

1. The Yaesu 70DR has an SMA connector on the radio. The Diamond SMA antenna model is SRH77CA.
2. The Diamond RH77CA uses a BNC connector. This antenna would also work on the Yaesu 70DR, but you would need an SMA to BNC adapter.

I have both the RH77CA and the SRH77CA antennas. They both work to transmit and receive on handheld amateur radios. They also work better than any of the stock antennas that came with the Yaesu handhelds I own.
Thankyou for your reply yes I also have the BNC connector you mentioned, and I will now use the Diamond on the Yaesu handheld, thanks much

K9DWB

QRT
The SRH77CA is one I have for my FT3D. It has specs that will be just fine.

The Diamond site has these specs for the SMAM, but the BNC version is identical:

Specifications:
Bands:2m/70cm + receive up to 900 MHz
*Gain (relative):+6dB
Watts:10
Height:15"
Connector:SMA

KO4IPV

The SRH77CA is one I have for my FT3D. It has specs that will be just fine.

The Diamond site has these specs for the SMAM, but the BNC version is identical:

Specifications:
Bands:2m/70cm + receive up to 900 MHz
*Gain (relative):+6dB
Watts:10
Height:15"
Connector:SMA
Many thanks

k6cpo

I have one of the Diamond SRH77CA antennas I bought a while back for my Yaesu HTs. It worked fine on the radios, but I put it away for a different antenna when I nearly stabbed myself in the eye with it. Due to its length, it's just not practical for handheld use. If I were using a speaker mic or headset it would be a different matter.

K9DWB

QRT
Then you really would not like my blue Signal Stick that's 19" that I have for my FT3D. The Diamond seems to receive a better I think.

k6cpo

Then you really would not like my blue Signal Stick that's 19" that I have for my FT3D. The Diamond seems to receive a better I think.

Nope. What I currently use on my HTs are antennas made by Wouxun. They work well enough for what I need and they are as flexible as the diamond so they won't take a permanent set from the pressure of my fat belly when worn on my belt.

K9DWB

QRT
Yeah I'd get that issue too if I were to hang the radio on my belt. Since I have shoulder and hand issues from arthritis, so it's kinda hard to reach down with one or both hands to snap the clip over the belt while holding the radio. And yes I have been fighting the battle of the bulge for some time. Despite that, my antennas haven't been kinked over or been poked in the eye with my HT antenna. Maybe it's chalked up to I have only been at this since July. It'll happen eventually I'm sure.

K9DWB

QRT
I'm just asking, but is that Watson W-801 a receive only antenna or can you also transmit on it? It seems to have a very wide frequency range, with a Spec of "25 - 1900MHz". This sounds to me like receive only, like for a scanner.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It is neither a Diamond antenna nor marketed as transmit antenna that this thread is concerned with. I am doubtful other antenna brands apply to the question of this thread, especially as it is resolved. Perhaps you can connect it to an analyzer and create another thread with the results for transmit possibilities. I will then make a guess on what frequency range that "801" works best on. ;)

k6cpo

I have the Yaesu 70DR/DE ham radio I would like to put the diamond RH77CA antenna on , is this a situation where it is a good match for the radio for transmitting and receiving not sure and I don’t want to transmit using this antenna yet before I do some research anyone know anything about this ?

This antenna is not going to damage your radio.

bharvey2

I have one of the Diamond SRH77CA antennas I bought a while back for my Yaesu HTs. It worked fine on the radios, but I put it away for a different antenna when I nearly stabbed myself in the eye with it. Due to its length, it's just not practical for handheld use. If I were using a speaker mic or headset it would be a different matter.

I can't comment on how this antenna works on a Yaesu as I don't own any Yaesu handhelds. I've used it on a variety of other handhelds and find it's an improvement over a stock antenna. It is however, pretty long and can be unwieldy when holding the radio in my hand. That being said, I really like it when I'm spending the day walking around with the radio in a backpack and I'm using an earpiece/mic combo or a lapel speaker/mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.