Diamond D-130J discone for Ham Radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kma371

QRT
It's a good antenna. I've worked the international space station and MIR with it.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Fast1eddie

Second that! Used it on 6 a few times, but mostly 2 and 440. I do not remember how much wattage it will handle but you should be good running a mobile rig-a popular choice. It is omnidirectional, just get it up in the clear and it's biscuits and gravy after that.

LtDoc

That discone is the equivalent of a multi-band 1/4 wave antenna. It has no gain in reference to a 'standard' antenna. If it fit's your needs, then it should work just dandy.
- 'Doc

(Mixing 'dBd' and dBi' numbers is a standard advertising gimick. It doesn't usually tell you much unless you are familiar with how gain is measured.)

commscanaus

The DJ-130 provides a decent match on the ham bands and will work as a general purpose antenna for multiband use. As already stated, it does not exhibit any gain, so it will be lacking in performance compared to a gain antenna such as a co-linear. If all the stations you wish to work are reasonably close or you are in range of some repeaters, then the discone should work fine.
Get it up nice and high in the clear.

The lack of gain works well in my situation due to the local terrain being flat and the stations of interest being close enough. I mainly use the DJ-130 to monitor VHF airband, where many aircraft fly fairly close to my location (there is a VFR route within 3 miles of me and an airfield within 5) so a gain antenna is not required. It would cause problems with overload at the receiver most likely.

Above all- use quality low loss coaxial cable. Good cable is essential.

Commscanaus.

Status
Not open for further replies.