Diamond D-130J vs RS Discone 20-043

Status
Not open for further replies.

RISC777

mike_s104,

Since everyone's mileage varies, for me the Diamond still isn't tailored the best in the world for 800 MHz.

If you do not specifically need an omni directional antenna, you could most likely benefit more by going with an 800 MHz beam/yagi/Yagi Uda antennna (won't say for certain since I don't know the distance, terrain, source, system(s) you're wanting to monitor).

If you do want an omni directional for 800 MHz, you can go a less expensive route with an AntennaCraft 'Scantenna ST-2' which most places sell for well under $50 including 50 feet of cable and shipping. All you'll need is one F female to BNC male adapter (unless you need more than 50' of feedline, or if you want to utilize any existing cable that you already have and that you haven't mentioned having (yet)).

If you've got more questions, ask away.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Mike and all,

Just what do you intend to do with that mess? While that's cooking on the back burner let's take a closer look at the splitter and combiner. Have you noticed they're exactly the same electrically? Have you noticed the similarity to an ordinary CATV signal splitter? Aparantly not or that's what you would have come up with. That's right, only the connectors are different and in any case quite unsuitable.

With the exception of active multicouplers the passive ones work as combiners as well, RF flows both ways. Nope, amplifiers work one way only unless they're special bidirectional CATV repeaters or distribution amps.

I went that route to disaster, several UHF and some VHF signals went WAY down when I combined an 800MHz antenna with the existing one. What you need is a diplexer which is a low pass and a high pass filter back to back having a crossover point of 700MHz. That's it in brief, no point in going through it all again when you can find several of my posts regarding my success with it.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
kb2vxa said:
Hi Mike and all,

Just what do you intend to do with that mess? While that's cooking on the back burner let's take a closer look at the splitter and combiner. Have you noticed they're exactly the same electrically? Have you noticed the similarity to an ordinary CATV signal splitter? Aparantly not or that's what you would have come up with. That's right, only the connectors are different and in any case quite unsuitable.

With the exception of active multicouplers the passive ones work as combiners as well, RF flows both ways. Nope, amplifiers work one way only unless they're special bidirectional CATV repeaters or distribution amps.

I went that route to disaster, several UHF and some VHF signals went WAY down when I combined an 800MHz antenna with the existing one. What you need is a diplexer which is a low pass and a high pass filter back to back having a crossover point of 700MHz. That's it in brief, no point in going through it all again when you can find several of my posts regarding my success with it.

I found your other post with the site where you bought the filter. now what 800MHz antenna should I get? I guess I could find an old cell phone antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.