Diamond RH701 BNC vs Radio Shack 800 Mhz BNC Antenna - 700-900Mhz Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Greetings,

Not too familiar with good antennas and not really up for building one myself, but I was shopping around today a few websites and a kept running across the Diamond RH701 which is rated as 144/440Mhz & Wide Band, and the sleeve it comes in marks a myriad of different frequencies its supposed to operate with for receiving I presume. I was curious if anybody had any opinion or experience with using one of these antennas vs a Radio Shack 800 Mhz when it comes to monitoring frequencies in the 851-860 Mhz Spectrum. I currently own the Radio Shack 800 Mhz and I've got it mounted inside of a PVC enclosure I've crafted to my awning with a run of cable and so far its worked pretty spectacularly for 851-860 Mhz and decent for other bands as far as I can tell, but I feel like it might be wasted up there when it would be more suited towards traveling with me, so I was in the market for a similar antenna to that and I kept coming across the Diamond RH701. My primary objective is to get excellent coverage on 800 Mhz area and then others, problem is, all the antennas I find suited to just 800 Mhz are all SMA, so didn't want to keep piling on more and more adapters if it wasn't necessary.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Also, just for consideration, I found the Remtronics REM-800B. It looks like a dead ringer for the Radio Shack antenna, but I wonder if it performs as well. Other than that, its just a bunch of cheap rubber duck antennas but most don't have BNC, and some telescoping antennas which say they do 800 Mhz, but my experience with telescoping antennas are they suck at reception and they are easy to break.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
The Remtronix 800mhz is the exact same antenna as the Radioshack 800mhz one. So you'll get the same performance you are used to.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
The Remtronix 800mhz is the exact same antenna as the Radioshack 800mhz one. So you'll get the same performance you are used to.

That's about as I suspected, the few reviews I saw for it gave it high praises as better than the RS 800 Mhz, so I figured it either was the exact same antenna with user imagination going a bit wild, or feared it could be a bad clone with questionable reviews.

W3DMV

I have and use both antennas. The Radio shack works better for me on 800Mhz and
the Diamond works better on VHF/UHF...

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Remtronix manufactured the RS800 Radio Shack antenna for Radio Shack.

More info:

Status
Not open for further replies.