Diamond SRH77CA on yaesu ft60 wont screw tight to body

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF0AWL

Hobo
I bought the Diamond antenna to replace my stock rubber duck.
When I went to install it there is z large gap between the antenna base and HT body even with the rubber gasket packaged with the antenna.
My question is can I put a thicker rubber o ring to take up the space and not cause issues?
Or does the open space even effect the water resistance of the radio?

K4EET

Chaplain
Use a fatter O-Ring washer. Many hardware stores have a nice assortment. That is what I did. As far as the IP rating, I'm sure that Yaesu would say that anything but their OEM antenna would not be acceptable. 73, Dave K4EET

K9DWB

QRT
Agreed with Dave. I have the same Diamond antenna on top of my FT3D. One of my HT antennas came with a thin rubber washer that I stuck on first. I just leave it in place no matter what antenna goes on. I've got a SMAM to SMAF adapter I'm putting on when it arrives. I will do this so as to let the $5 adapter take the abuse and not the $350 radio SMA.

KF0AWL

Hobo
Just got a email back from Diamond
They are sending me a ring to take up the space. See what they have and go from there.

K9DWB

QRT
I've only actively been in ham for 2 months. But I'm really liking Diamond antennas. Sounds like they have a good customer service as evidenced here. Hope the ring fixes the space issue.

K4EET

Chaplain
Just got a email back from Diamond
They are sending me a ring to take up the space. See what they have and go from there.
Was that Denise at Diamond that is sending you the spacer? She has helped me a couple of times. And yes, Diamond Antenna is a great company that stands behind their products.

KF0AWL

Hobo
Im pretty sure thats who it was.
Not many companies have good customer service like that anymore!

W5GX

I cut a couple short lengths of heat shrink. I think they are the same diameter. I fit the antenna (Comet, in my case) and pushed one down till it stopped and shrank it, then did a second layer. I moved the outer tube just a hair lower so it has a good snug fit. It takes up most of the gap from the Comet antenna.

W5GX

The connectors themselves are standardized - thread pitch, thread diameter, pin diameter, etc.

The housings and various giblets around that connector? Not so much. :p

Unfortunately, there is a lot of freedom around the connector itself. Kind of rough for the end user.

Status
Not open for further replies.