Diamond SX-600

Status
Not open for further replies.

05WideGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking to buy a Diamond SX-600 and was wondering weather I could power it up by using the clip in on the Alinco DM-330MV. The Alinco pushes 5 volts wit 2 amps and the SX-600 uses 50 Mamps.

Joel

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The only reason to use external power with the SX-600 is to light up the meters. This requires 12V. I've had one of these meters for years and very seldom use the power cord. I don't have it installed permanently, however. Maybe it would be nice to lighted if it stayed in my shack.

05WideGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your reply. I plan to use it in my shack continuously and would like it to be lighted but I don't want to have a separate power supply just fir it. Any suggestions?

Joel

cmdrwill

You do not have 12 volts in your Shack? Now the 'lights' may work off of 5 volts, you would have to see.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The Alinco has 12V clips on the front and a cigarette lighter adapter. Yes, its variable from 5-15 volts, but if you are powering radios from it you would be running 12 volts anyway, wouldn't you? I used to have one until it failed.

05WideGuy

Premium Subscriber
The problem is the Alinco power supply has clip connector with max output of 5 amp whereas the SX-600 12VDC @ 50mA is required for illuminated display.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The light won't draw any more current than it needs. I used it with my SX-600. It won't put out 5 amps unless the load draws 5 amps.

jbantennaman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm not sure what the OP is asking since the SWR meter works off the current in the coax and as others has said the + 12 is only for illumination, and you can see the needle move if there is light in the room.
The OP did not say what kind of radio he plans on using it with?
Is it a 50 watt mobile or a handheld?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Joel -

As long as your power supply provides 12vdc and your meter requires 12vdc for illumination, go ahead and hook it up. As someone mentioned, the meter lights will draw only what they need from the power supply. For safety's sake, however, I would also recommend that you fuse the circuit to protect from a direct short.

John AC4JK

Status
Not open for further replies.