Diamond X510 vs Diamond X700hn

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybor

Anyone have compared these antennas? Big difference? Same condition and corresponding cable ?. Wonder if it's worth upgrading from an x510 to x700,
audible difference?

prcguy

The Diamond X700 series is the highest gain dual band ham antenna ever made but its expensive at about $400 shipped. It would be a little better than the X510 and a slightly noticeable but not huge difference in performance. Harvest makes a copy of it, also 24ft long and its $225 shipped. In my experience the off brands like Tram and Harvest are not that bad and a lot less $$. You would never want to put any of these on a mountain top repeater but for home use in mild weather they should last awhile.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
My x510ma survived 15 years. Until a nearby tree took a lightning strike and a stringer turned it to toast. Would put another one up in a heartbeat if I ever needed to replace the 50a I put up there.

Ubbe

It's more or less a 1dB difference in gain between the 510 and the 700, too small difference to be noticed but the 700 are also much bigger in size.

/Ubbe

prcguy

Its really hard to compare them on paper because the gain figures are all made up. The 700 is about 20% longer than the 510 so 1dB sounds about right. It also depends on where the gain lobe lands, if its at the horizon on one and up or down on the other then the differences between them will be greater.

It's more or less a 1dB difference in gain between the 510 and the 700, too small difference to be noticed but the 700 are also much bigger in size.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.