Diamond X510HDN VHF/UHF Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
So I decided to upgrade my base antenna from an old RS Discone to a full-size Diamond VHF/UHF dual-band antenna.

I went with the X510HDN which is the full-size 17 ft model with N connector. I have mine mounted on a 10ft section of EMC conduit. The antenna starts at about 18 ft above ground level. This puts it level with the house roof and then it's another 17 ft from there.

This antenna is very light and fairly easy to assemble. It's a fiberglass outer shell with a brass inner element. The element is attached via a set screw in two places. I used Noalox to help with long-term reliability. The outer shell uses two metal screw joints to attach the three sections. For waterproofing, I used one layer of Super 88 electrical tape and then used mastic tape around each joint. To finish, I wrapped both joints in a complete layer of Super 88 again.

One note: the center section inner element was deep inside and I had to "shake" the center section to free it loose.

The mounting brackets were top-notch and well-made. I used loctite where applicable.

There are three radials which are screwed in and then tightened with a nut. I used Noalox here as well.

After connecting the LMR400 coax, I used coax-seal on the connector to wrap it securely and to keep moisture out. We get a lot of rain up here so this is vital to keep it going over the years.

Raising the mast and antenna was quite easy as the antenna is very light. It has quite a bit of flex but the extra waterproofing around the joints helps to increase its mechanical stability.

Performance was as advertised and no tuning is required. From 143-149 Mhz, SWR is < 2.0 and at 146.0 it is 1.0 exactly. The Z at 146 is 49ohms which is just about dead on. My MFJ259B can't measure the 70cm side but it seem to work just fine.

Very happy with the antenna so far. I can bring in quite a few repeaters that I couldn't before (or just barely hear.)

5/5

(I'll post a picture later tonight.)

SCPD

QRT
Picture:

x510.jpg

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Great antenna. I've had one up for a month or so and its a keeper for sure. Blows away my OPEK/Workmen UVS-300. On UHF the Diamond is about tied with my home brewed 4 bay dipole array but it can't hang bandwidth wise with the dipole array.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
Now that it's almost a year later, how is it holding up? I currently have a Diamond CP-22E on top of the house.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
No problems with mine, in fact I remounted it about 18ft higher than it was and it performs noticably better. Before remounting I did a through inspection for any water and it was completly dry inside the antenna. Plus I had a noise issue with a LCD TV and relocating the antenna did away with the noise. Its about 55ft high now. So far so good. I'm happy with it.

SCPD

QRT
Now that it's almost a year later, how is it holding up? I currently have a Diamond CP-22E on top of the house.

I'd love to get mine up higher but that's not going to happen any time soon.

It looks just like the first picture I posted -- but without the blue sky unfortunately -- and still working perfectly. I just check its SWR and it's exactly the same.

Given the extreme weather we've had this year, I'm very glad I took the time to put extra sealing around the joints.

n8zcc

Premium Subscriber

I have the Comet version and it has been up since 1994. I have it down right now for inspection and it is holding up well.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I'd love to get mine up higher but that's not going to happen any time soon.

It looks just like the first picture I posted -- but without the blue sky unfortunately -- and still working perfectly. I just check its SWR and it's exactly the same.

Given the extreme weather we've had this year, I'm very glad I took the time to put extra sealing around the joints.

Is the coax-seal that you used like black electrical tape?

SCPD

QRT
Is the coax-seal that you used like black electrical tape?

From my original post:

For waterproofing, I used one layer of Super 88 electrical tape and then used mastic tape around each joint. To finish, I wrapped both joints in a complete layer of Super 88 again.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
From my original post:

For waterproofing, I used one layer of Super 88 electrical tape and then used mastic tape around each joint. To finish, I wrapped both joints in a complete layer of Super 88 again.

Oops,didn't see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.