Did I brick my 996xt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomex

Premium Subscriber
I was attempting to upgrade my 996xt and when I was done I had a radio that did nothing. No screen, nothing. I tried all the resets I could find and still nothing. Back to Uniden or is there anything else I can do??

Thanks.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If it is really no screen, nothing, then you need to recheck your power connection.

If it is actually that the backlight comes on, but nothing appears in the display, then you need to redo the firmware update from Step 1. If an error message appears, please report the specific error message.

Nomex

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Upman. The radio is looking for a connection and with no screen this is impossible. I already looked at you previous posts and did not find an answer. I was curious if there were keys to hold and do a reset.

Nomex

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok. I completely don't know what "the radio is looking for a connection" means. Is the backlight on? If so, you just need to redo the firmware update from step 1.

Nomex

Premium Subscriber
Sorry about the reply. The screen is blank. Nothing. When I tried to continue the upgrade it wants a comport. Since there is no screen I can't supply the correct comport. I am reaching out to you now. Help.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, so the backlight does or does not turn on when you have the scanner plugged in and turned on?

al95

Sorry about the reply. The screen is blank. Nothing. When I tried to continue the upgrade it wants a comport. Since there is no screen I can't supply the correct comport. I am reaching out to you now. Help.

Is your computer asking you which comport? If yes just select 3 or 4. Comport is use to tell you to select in which USB connection is the wire for your scanner connected in the computer. Select any # from the list until one works for you. 3 or 4 are the most often used. When you select the right one it will go thur the upgrade fast. I don't have this scanner. I have the BCD396T.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For you. For me it is 7 or 8 (but can be 9 or 10). Of course, the OP could be using a PC that has a native serial port, and not a USB adapter, in which case it is probably 1 or 2.

But, you are correct that com port selection does not depend on having a scanner connected to the other end of the cable.

Nomex

Premium Subscriber
UPMan, yes, that is correct. No screen at all. If i could pick a comport, then I could contuinue with the update. Thanks.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
UPMan, yes, that is correct. No screen at all. If i could pick a comport, then I could contuinue with the update. Thanks.

The screen is not supposed to show you a com port. The screen is supposed to be blank. Look in your Windows hardware manager, that's where you determine which com port your cable is using.

Is there any light at all showing on the screen? It is understood that you have no numbers or letters showing.

If there is no light at all, turn the scanner off - be sure it is plugged in - press and HOLD DOWN BOTH the L/O key and the 6 key simultaneously while you turn it on again. The screen should be blank at this point, but is there a light now? what color - flashing, steady?

Also, are you using the port on the rear of the scanner, or the small port on the front of the scanner? (just to the right of the "E/yes" key)

Last edited:

W6KRU

The scanner doesn't have anything to do with com port. The PC needs to know which part of the PC hardware the updater is gong to use.

Nomex

Premium Subscriber
The screen is now blue. When I try to use the BC VUP, it asks which comport to connect to. The field is blank. That is as far as I can go.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The screen is now blue. When I try to use the BC VUP, it asks which comport to connect to. The field is blank. That is as far as I can go.

AGAIN, you need to look in the Windows hardware manager to see which com port your cable is using. Your scanner is NOT supposed to tell you that.

ALSO... where is your cable plugged in to the scanner? the front of it, or the port on the rear of the scanner?

Nomex

Premium Subscriber
Windows hardware manager says com port 8. Cable is plugged into the front. It is the BC VUP software asking for which com port to use, not the scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Windows hardware manager says com port 8. Cable is plugged into the front. It is the BC VUP software asking for which com port to use, not the scanner.

That's correct, the scanner does not ask which port, nor does it tell you which port.

The upgrade BC VUP software needs to know which port.

Status
Not open for further replies.