Did I buy the right scanner for my area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tJohN2020

I am new to the scanner world, and I live in Warner Robins, which is in Houston county, Ga. I brought a Uniden Bearcat BC125AT scanner with a diamond RH77AC antenna. I have programmed it, but I can't pick up police, or fire communications. Did I purchased the wrong scanner for my area. Any help, or suggests would be greatly appreciated.

I have programmed it, but I can't pick up police, or fire communications
That's an Analog Only scanner, so I'd say return it!

Houston Peach Regional Radio System (HPRRS) requires an up to date digital scanner

Last edited:
Could you recommend a descent digital scanner, that will not break the bank!
There's a catch. The system you are trying to monitor is a Simulcast System.

The only scanners that will work reliably are the SDS series from Uniden.

They're not cheap.

You can buy a 996P2 or 325P2 but you may experience problems with the Simulcast.

Look them up here:

If you Google "Simulcast Distortion" you'll see the problems you might encounter.

Good luck!

tJohN2020

Thank you, so much for information I will have to do my homework. Have great evening and stay safe.

N8IAA

I am new to the scanner world, and I live in Warner Robins, which is in Houston county, Ga. I brought a Uniden Bearcat BC125AT scanner with a diamond RH77AC antenna. I have programmed it, but I can't pick up police, or fire communications. Did I purchased the wrong scanner for my area. Any help, or suggests would be greatly appreciated.

To listen to LE, yes.

To listen to Milair activity in your area, excellent!

tJohN2020

Thank you, for the advise. I am about to return the BC125AT, and looking at buying the SDS-100 in a couple of weeks.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
You'll find Unidens work better in simulcast systems. I would get a 325P2 portable or 996P2 desktop although you'll hve to program them..
They are nearly 1/2 the price of the sds'.
Work well in simulcasts are are phase II capable.

Next step up and price, use sds cards,, use zipcodes to program are the 436HP portable, 536HP desktop, home patrol II.

tJohN2020

I looked up the 325P2 portable, and really like the price. I have no issue in programing it, if it works in my area. Dose the diamond RH77CA, work on this unit? Thank you for your gulidance.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
To be honest I live in the Central GA area and close to Warner Robins,Byron and Macon area and my Uniden 536HP works just find on Houston's County system, Federal and Military . Yes are they using P25 Phase 1? Yes, They are and may switch over to Phase 2 TDMA down the road.

Hit_Factor

You'll find Unidens work better in simulcast systems. I would get a 325P2 portable or 996P2 desktop although you'll hve to program them..
They are nearly 1/2 the price of the sds'.

Next step up and price, use sds cards,, use zipcodes to program are the 436HP portable, 536HP desktop, home patrol II.

Problem is you won't know if simulcast distortion will render the HP2, 325P2, 996P2, 436HP, or 536HP completely unusable. So even at 1/2 price it's all money down the drain. None of these scanners are designed to handle simulcast distortion. Only the SDS line of scanners is. No other manufacturer has scanners capable of handling simulcast distortion.

There is a pager company, Unication and they have a fine product, but it is a pager and the limitations may be difficult to understand.

tJohN2020

Thank you, for information, so I would better off spenting extra the money upfront, then worry about it not workingf down the road!!

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
If it doesn't work for him, he could return em, my experience as well as many others in the two nearby 4 tower simulcast systems the people report back their Unidens are working well.

The sds' are all on back order and everyone likes to spend other peoples money on here by suggesting if they are on simulcast, just get an SDS. Not all can afford that kind of money!
Around here on phase I, four tower system - two of them, my 996P2, 396xt do very well!

Uniden firmware updates have improved decoding simulcast systems.

I still standby my statement above. :)

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
And yet it keeps working here and nor do you know if the other Unidens would also work.... well. I have no desire to further reply and get into a what scanner works fight hit factor.

See the message reply #12 above from another in the area using a 536hp that I also suggested - working fine.

Tjohn2020,
One person from Saginaw, a 4 tower simulcast system, going from a ws1040 that simply did not work, they talked to whistler and were told to use the attenuater. Said it would barely work in the garage, sent it back.
I was asked what to get, based on their budget suggested the 325p2. Well the reply back was ... "OMG this thing is amazing!"
Have had numerous inquiries for scanners in simulcast counties on what to get, Unidens are the way to go certainly.

This link mentions using many of the same models I did above for an eight tower system in S.E. MI and in a vehicle which tends to be more tough for simulcast reception. WS1040/WS1065 vs Simulcast 800

Tjohn2020 obviously you get what you want. The SDS models are all on back order and unknown when you could get one so models I mentioned are more readily available now.
I wanted to share actual experiences here on simulcast in my area and save you some $, but did not expect to be shamed by another for helping.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ronaldski,
I am sorry for the flack you received for replying to my post. I do appreciate your advice.
Just remember that simulcast problems can be specific to a given location. If you happen to be in an area where your scanner only receives one tower of the simulcast, you may have no problems. Sometimes, a move of only a few feet, in your location, may make all the difference in the world. There's no way to tell for sure (in advance) whether you'll have a problem or not. N4CYA said that he was using a 536HP, with no problems. That's not a guarantee that your results will be the same, worse, or better.
Read more about simulcast in the Wiki.
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki
(that page also comes up on the search link that Doc posted above)

N8IAA

I would like to know why so many out of state folks pretend to know systems in GA??

You can only make guesses as to how the systems work with different scanners in this state.

And, you all don't have a clue when/if a system decides to go dark. You can only ASSUME that different scanners won't work on a system hundreds of miles away from here.

OMG!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.