Did I buy the right scanner for my area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Unless there is something missing, P25 is P25 in each state, phase I or II, system they are called is different, but same technology.
We can access the database to see what the radio setup is for the area as seen in reply 2, that mentioned needing a digital scanner from being out of state.

Only thing I have seen incorrectly at times from out of stateres for MI is a couple times was mentioned about using trunk tables that they use in their state, but is not applicable in MI.
One thing locals will be up on is if a system might be known to be going from analog to digital, phase I to II, maybe even going encrypted.

So issues are the same; location of the tower(s) to you, hills, valleys, trees, cell towers nearby, scanner model and manufacturer, etc.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If you do end up buying a non-SDS scanner, make sure the dealer's return policy will allow you to return it without any penalty just in case it doesn't work for you.

Unfortunately, the only way to know is to try it yourself or find someone local to you. Someone's experience with a simulcast system in another state means diddly squat to you.

Bob1955

I am new to the scanner world, and I live in Warner Robins, which is in Houston county, Ga. I brought a Uniden Bearcat BC125AT scanner with a diamond RH77AC antenna. I have programmed it, but I can't pick up police, or fire communications. Did I purchased the wrong scanner for my area. Any help, or suggests would be greatly appreciated.
Return it and purchase either the Bearcat BCD-325P2 or for a step up model, the BCD-436HP.
Hope this helps you out. Also you should purchase a better antenna then the junky stock antenna supplied.

ScubaJungle

Don't get ripped off - if you go with a BCD436HP - they routinely go on Amazon for $350-$400. Do not pay $500-$600 for it.

Now, whether it will work on simulcast/how well is a complete guess. It might, it might not. Just be aware that the SDS receiver is not that great - its great for simulcast, but nothing else.

mjbjr

Cant the pro 197 pick them up? That's what im running and im only 20 minutes from warner robins. Im pretty sure I can pick them up from here

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
I haven't seen it mentioned yet so I'll go ahead and throw in the Unication G Series such as the G4 or G5. I personally have one and it handles a simulcast system as well as an APX. Not as many scanner features in the current firmware but they are coming very soon. Not to mention they are very durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.