WS1065: Did I get a dud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachen_Fire

I've stated this earlier in the thread - They haven't gone Phase 2, and aren't going to any time soon. It's not a mystery. All sites are Phase 1, except for one Phase 2 VHF site.

The scanner is sitting in between 3 other Phase 1 Motorola radios that are all working fine. This radio is just deaf to the systems.

I am several miles away from the nearest ICORRS tower. This thing is just garbage. Absolute trash, and I feel cheated that they got my money.

If anyone from Whistler is reading this, your radio is garbage. This finnicky, persnickety fiddling and playing with it to get it to work? That's the mark of an unfinished product, and definitely not something that should be for sale to the general public for $465 on your website. Don't issue firmware updates and retractions and apologies, just FIX the DESIGN and issue refunds.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
If anyone wants to look at the codeplug, please shoot me your email. It won't let me post the file here. "Invalid File Type".

Even the files don't want to work.

When you make a post and click on the "attachment" icon, it shows you what types of files are allowed to attach to a post.

Either zip your file, or just change the file type to .txt and whoever downloads it will just change it back.

ScannerSK

As no control channels can be received in tune mode, it is either a problem with the scanner or it is suffering from desense/overload. Do you receive anything in the 850-860 MHz range in tune mode?

It appears from your posts you may have driven around away from any possible interference sources so I would have to assume there is a problem with that particular scanner. Another identical scanner may work just fine.

Shawn

Drachen_Fire

Sold it today.

Never going back to that well again.

Motorola trunking radios do a much better job.

I do thank everyone for their help, it's just that this model is apparently desense-prone, which is an amazingly bad problem for a scanner of this sort to have.

Whistler - This one isn't ready for primetime, which is unfortunate, because everything else on it is so very nice.

Blackswan73

It is a bit ridiculous to expect any consumer grade wide frequency scanner to compare to a $1000+ band-specific commercial radio. You are not expected to stake your life on a consumer grade scanner. As for the 1065, it is the same radio as the GRE 600, Radio Shack 197, and 652, which date back to the very beginning of digital scanners. Regardless, Whether it is GRE, RS, Uniden, or Whistler, it isn't going to even come close to the performance of a commercial radio

Last edited by a moderator:

Drachen_Fire

All of that wouldn't be but so bad, if it actually trunked 700/800MHz digital systems, which is what most people buy them for.

Picks up the two school bus companies on 46MHz great! Gets the one fire paging system around here on 33MHz fine! Now, how many people buy a digital trunking scanner to listen to that? It just seems like they should have maybe focused on the 700/800 trunking a bit more.

It's not it wasn't done before. The PRO-2096 did great on 800MHz P25 Phase 1, and I believe it pre-dated the entire PSR-600 line.

Status
Not open for further replies.