Kenwood: Did I Harm the Receiver on This Transceiver? (TM-V71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

9Track

Being new to all of this, I made a dumb mistake. I have a Kenwood TK-8360H at around 40-45 watts, as well as a Kenwood TM-V71A on the same table. Don't transmit on the V71A, just listen. When I first got them, I just set the antennas for both, which are currently on mag mounts, on top of a metal file cabinet. The antennas were only about a foot or less apart. I was only listening at times on either radio.

One day, I had both radios on, maybe on the same frequency (don't remember) and without thinking, briefly keyed the mike on the 8360H to test something. The speaker on V71A made a loud sound - it didn't blow, but made a loud, deep sound, kind of like a bass concert speaker. The radio will still pick up weather, other frequencies, etc., but did I harm the receiver portion of the V71A? Make it less sensitive by such close overload?

Thanks much.

Steve.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The loud noise was probably RF in the audio stream. Unlikely that harmed anything, but it's a "less than ideal" situation.

RF wise, if the radio is still receiving, you're probably fine.

You've probably figured this out, but:
If you are not licensed to transmit, don't program in transmit frequencies.
Or, disconnect the microphones and put them in a drawer. While you know better than to TX, someone else may not.
Move your antennas farther apart if you plan on transmitting. One foot is too close.

9Track

Good to know, thanks. Yes, the antennas are now outside and spaced about 20 feet apart. Plan to have a couple of antennas mounted at the roof, soon I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.