Did I just brick my 396T?

Status
Not open for further replies.

substitute

I did the firmware upgrade using the ESN updater from Uniden. The first two times it claimed there was an error checking the Flash ROM. The third time I manually cut the USB serial port's speed down to 9600, and this time it went through the laborious multiple progress bars. This time it also failed, at the very end, with a communication error message.

Now my poor little radio won't even respond to the L/O + 6 and power on, or anything else. A/C power, it does nothing.

I've had it a few years. If it's dead, I might just get another, since I know I like it and I haven't used the GRE.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mlconnell

It sure sounds like it. I'm trying to think..... when I had my 396T I never had any trouble like that flashing it. I know if you turn it off in the middle it will do that. Just send it in to uniden and get it fixed. It could not cost that much. They can restore it pretty quick board level. Hell as much as the radio cost I would surely do that even if I was going to buy another one also.

westsdad

I did the firmware upgrade using the ESN updater from Uniden. The first two times it claimed there was an error checking the Flash ROM. The third time I manually cut the USB serial port's speed down to 9600, and this time it went through the laborious multiple progress bars. This time it also failed, at the very end, with a communication error message.

Now my poor little radio won't even respond to the L/O + 6 and power on, or anything else. A/C power, it does nothing.

I've had it a few years. If it's dead, I might just get another, since I know I like it and I haven't used the GRE.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hopefully it isn't bricked. There were a small number of issues during the intial release of the v2 firmware and were handled by Paul / UPMan.

See the following:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103277

See the first post in this thread and read the section under "DON'T PANIC"

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102611

Also read the troubleshooting portion of the file that explains the firmware upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.