Did I Just Buy a Uniden Branded Doorstop?

Hi Everyone,

I have recently gotten back into monitoring and scanning. I had an old Radio Shack Pro-94 Trunking scanner and just got a new Uniden BCD996P2. I live in Washington County and I've programmed in the new WCN system and associated sites, as well as the WCCCA system and sites, and some older Motorola Type II trunk networks. But, I'm really disappointed because I'm getting no activity aside from a Clackamas Fire Company talkgroup and their dispatch. No Hillsboro, Beaverton, Tigard police. No Washington County EMS. Nothing. I'm assuming this is due to their use of encryption (and this is not a rant on encryption) but I'm not sure because I'm new to these P25 scanners.

Did I just buy a expensive doorstop or can I still have some fun with this new scanner? Are there ANY conventional systems still in use by law enforcement or EMS I can monitor (or P25 systems that are not encrypted)? Again, not a rant on the use of encryption by these agencies. I'm really just looking to justify the money I spent on this pretty cool scanner I just bought.

Any info you can provide would be a big help.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
You are not going to hear any law enforcement on the WCN system as they are all encrypted.

Fire, EMS and some public works, Wilsonville Transit and Beaverton Schools are all in the clear. I believe the county common channels (WASH-1, WASH-2, et.) are all in the clear.

The 996P2 can work in some areas, but the system is mostly simulcast, so it may be hit or miss on reception.

There are simplex channels for TVF&R, and some other county operations. And if you buy the NVDN or DMR license from Uniden, there are plenty of conventional and trunked businesses in the county that you can monitor.

- Chris

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
You might try loading the Oregon State Radio Project (OSRP) trunked system and you can catch a lot of ODOT and OSP traffic on that system. The 996P2 seems to do OK on that.

- Chris

Thank you, Chris. You have confirmed my suspicions. I looked at the OSRP system and that does look promising. Guess I have a decision to make as to whether I keep this new scanner or not.

ORE007

Feed Provider
If you hear Clackamas Fire, you should be able to catch all others. It has to do with the smart system and how radios latch onto towers these days. They do not transmit all on all towers anymore. I would suggest you program all towers and frequencies related to those towers that are closest to you. I still will have some of these issues you describe where I am hearing some fine and other channels not at all.

tvengr

Well Known Member
just got a new Uniden BCD996P2. I live in Washington County and I've programmed in the new WCN system and associated sites, as well as the WCCCA system and sites, and some older Motorola Type II trunk networks. But, I'm really disappointed because I'm getting no activity aside from a Clackamas Fire Company talkgroup and their dispatch. No Hillsboro, Beaverton, Tigard police. No Washington County EMS.
What programming software are you using? If you attach the files not working, I will check them for problems. You will need to right click on the files and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach them. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder(s).