Did I just see That? a Corded car phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
a few days ago, while out Christmas shopping, I was stuck in fairly heavy Traffic in Gastonia NC, I had the 396xt going and the chatter was heavy! up ahead I saw a NCSHP with his Lights on, then I look in my rear view and there were 3 more state troopers trying to maneuver thru traffic "no lights but making their way none the less", I assumed a MVA, when the lead trooper got beside me I could see him on a telephone! an honest to goodness old fashioned corded telephone, it looked like the type of phone you would see in your house 20yrs ago!
not sure what was going on, but when the three troopers caught up to the other one, out go the lights on the first car I saw and they all took off together!
this whole thing was going on right in front of me and I haven't picked up not one hit on my scanner!!!

what's the deal with the Phones?

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Could it have been a radio handset, such as a Motorola HLN1220? I've never personally seen one used in a law enforcement application - they are used, however, in the cabs of FDNY rigs.

KJ6HCB

Or this style....

updateddesk2.jpg

Or could have been an actual cell phone - old Motorola Analong 3 watt type - not sure if there are any providers in that area.

11-29-07-cartel.jpg

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
it looked like the think geek retro phone in the pics, but it had the coiled cord! and he was talking on it! maybe we're all aiming too high on the frequency spectrum!....LOL

in the words of Andy "Sarah put me thru to Barney"

trumpetman

Database Admin

It also could have been a hand set for a cell phone. The other weekend I was at a AS SEEN ON TV STORE and they had the hand sets that pluged in to a cell phone for $20. Not sure why anyone would want one.

kb4mdz

More likely like NCFire11 & trumpetman have said; a handset on a police radio is a great way for Dispatch to tell the officer something that a, ahemm, ahhhh, 'passenger' shouldn't hear.

Dispatch says a 10-code or something, Officer picks up the handset, the main speaker is muted and RX audio routed to the earpiece. That way, 'passenger' doesn't hear that everyone KNOWS he's armed & dangerous, wanted on 13 warrants, esp. that one for littering, disturbing the peace, and jaywalking.

Good pix, NCFire11!

SCPD

QRT
Did you actually see the phone, or just the coiled wire?

My car charger has a coiled cord, and when connected to my Nextel Motorola i880, I can see how it could look as you describe.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
He was more than likely, he was on his lo band radio talking car to car. All the lo bands I've ever seen them use had that old style handset.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
More likely like NCFire11 & trumpetman have said; a handset on a police radio is a great way for Dispatch to tell the officer something that a, ahemm, ahhhh, 'passenger' shouldn't hear.

Dispatch says a 10-code or something, Officer picks up the handset, the main speaker is muted and RX audio routed to the earpiece. That way, 'passenger' doesn't hear that everyone KNOWS he's armed & dangerous, wanted on 13 warrants, esp. that one for littering, disturbing the peace, and jaywalking.

Good pix, NCFire11!

This is the winning answer (with kudos to trumpetman and NCFire11 as well)...it is part of the two way radio system that allows a Trooper to speak to dispatch without anyone else in the vehicle hearing the conversation. And having it look like a telephone handset just facilitates comfort on the Troopers part as pretty much everyone is used to using the old fashioned handset on regular phone calls...well maybe everyone except the young kids of today who only see them in museums and only know cellphones/smartphones :D
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

SCPD

QRT
It also eliminates sitting on your mike and keeping it keyed as you are forced to hang it up to hear anything. But probably not the best setup to try to talk while in pursuit.

kb4mdz

also sometimes used in ambulances; from what I've been told it's so that the 'transportee' doesn't hear what the ER has to say. Which I think is kind of a moot point, myself, but everyone is entitled to their own story even if it don't make sense to me. :)

Does get a little fun in an ambulance with 2 radios (2 different bands) and certain persons INSIST on putting the handset into the opposite hang-up cup, 'cuz it's easier!'

A on cup B, B on cup A.

Pick up A, B's speaker mutes, not A's, and vice-versa.

But then don't understand why the speaker doesn't mute when they pick up the handset out of the wrong cup. "My radios are broke!!! The speakers don't shut off !!!!"

(eye-roll) (again)

I know, long explanation for how ummm, slowwww some operators can be.....

kb4mdz

I just LOVVVVVVE the trooper holding the handset 'upside down' putting stress on the coil-cord & conductors. Now there's a service call coming up....

Status
Not open for further replies.