• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Difference between APX900, APX1000 and APX4000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devzaveri

Hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving! I was on Facebook and read a post by a guy on a radio selling page about how the NYPD is using APX900's. To be honest with you, I had no idea Moto even made this radio. But after looking at what the radio looked like and price point, I couldn't seem to figure out what the actual definitive difference is between the 900, 1000 and 4000? Is it price? Or does it go deeper?

Thanks!

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Different available features and frequency splits model to model.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I have probably close to 900 APX1000's in service for my Public Works in 700/800 MHz. A definite workhorse and with the exception of occasional water damage we don't see them coming in for service. The only drawback of the 1000's in 700/800 as it is provided as a single knob radio so I did a workaround using the front softkeys for Zone and Channel Up and Down. On our county contract it is just over $1K and includes a desk charger and spare battery.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
No RF connection on the accessory connector on these radios, thus no provision for capability to attach and utilize and public safety RSM. We have an EMS provider on our system that bought these, and does NOT have mobiles. They insist on using them inside a vehicle with a standard RSM and experience issues in some areas. They were warned the system spec is 8db in building (meaning wood frame residential) not inside a faraday cage vehicle.

Not a problem for NYCPD I'm sure as they're system is engineered for 2 watt body worn portables with standard RSMs.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
I think he was looking for more specific info, as am I...

There really aren't any secrets in this space.

You can go there and do comparisons like this:

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 8.45.42 AM.png

And I was wrong. All three of those are available in the same splits. Different IP specs. Different ergonomics.

You can see things like this, too:

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 8.49.46 AM.png

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Its weird that your post shows the APX900 & 1000 do not do Analog, But they do.
I often wonder if Motorola reads what they put out, or is it like firmware where they wait until it screws up everyone's radio then they fix it LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.