Difference between BC95xlt, BC346XT and GRE PSR 300

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTL

I have a BC95XLT and really don't like it. Main complaint is the static that I hear when it transmits. Is this normal for a scanner? It's the stock scanner with no changes. Even I connect to a Larsen magnetic mount antenna the static is still there. There are a few other things I don't like about it like I can't program the channel names but the static is my main complaint.

My thoughts are to upgrade to either the BC346XT or the GRE PSR-300. I was told that the PSR-300 has better sound quality over the BC95XLT.

Is there a big difference between the BC346XT and the GRE PSR-300? Will they sound better then the BC95XLT? My scanner freq range is the 155 to 170 range.

Very new at this so looking for any help you can provide.

rvictor

Without knowing your location, whether the static is on all channels or just some, what you've tried to eliminate the static, etc. it's hard to know the cause. However, there is nothing inherent in the BC346XT or PSR-300 that is likely to make them less prone to static if all else is the same.

Dick

RTL

I'm in Richfield WI. I haven't really tried anything else since don't know what to try. As I mentioned it does the same regardless if it's with the stock rubber ducky antenna or the Larsen antenna.

rvictor

All channels or just some? If just some, which ones? All the time or just at certain times? Are you putting the Larsen on a vehicle or using it indoors? If indoors, do you have it on a ground plane? Can you copy the NOAA weather broadcasts without static?

Dick

N8IAA

I'm in Richfield WI. I haven't really tried anything else since don't know what to try. As I mentioned it does the same regardless if it's with the stock rubber ducky antenna or the Larsen antenna.
Conventional, or, trunked frequencies? Pro-95 brand new, or, bought used? I had a Pro-95 and loved it. A Pro-97 replaced it. It was sold to fund a Pro-106. I have the Radio Shack base/mobile version of the 300 and use it for all my conventional frequencies and analog trunking. Haven't had a 346, or, 246 mainly because they do not include the milair band.
Larry

Edit: Your county is starting up a VHF P-25 digital system. My suggestion is that you investigate what P-25 digital scanner you might want to purchase so that you can monitor your county. All P-25 digital scanners monitor conventional VHF/UHF frequencies as well. This means that you can still hear what is going on in the county now, and what is happening on the new P-25 system. The Wiki on RR has a comprehensive comparison of the latest P-25 scanners on the market. You will read pros and cons on the models available. The best place to ask is in the General Scanning Forum.
Larry

Last edited:

rvictor

Pro-95 brand new, or, bought used? I had a Pro-95 and loved it. A Pro-97 replaced it. It was sold to fund a Pro-106.

He's got a Uniden BC95XLT.

Nonetheless, you are correct about the new Washington County P25 system. It's been on the air for testing and is expected to become the operational system sometime after the beginning of the year if I recall correctly.

Dick

RTL

All channels or just some? If just some, which ones? All the time or just at certain times? Are you putting the Larsen on a vehicle or using it indoors? If indoors, do you have it on a ground plane? Can you copy the NOAA weather broadcasts without static?

Dick

The only real channels I listen to is washington sheriff and CN RR. Both of them do it. I just tested NOAA and it's perfect with no static.

The same happens regardless if I use the rubber ducky or the Larsen. The Larsen is used both on the truck and indoors. For indoors I built a wooden stand with a 1/8" piece of sheet metal that measures about 3" x12" that it attaches to.

The more I listen to this I have a feeling it's just the nature of scanners or should they all sound like NOAA?

RTL

My mistake. Did read it wrong. Senior moment:)) But, he will need a digital scanner.
Larry

Ya I have given up on the BC346XT and the PSR300 and instead have started looking at the BCD396XT and the PSR500.

N8IAA

Ya I have given up on the BC346XT and the PSR300 and instead have started looking at the BCD396XT and the PSR500.
You won't go wrong with either scanner. The 396 does need tweaking, whereas, the 500 won't. Make sure you look into the different scanner programs. The most popular for the 396 is FreeScan at: ScanNow.org - The Home of FreeSCAN! , and the 500 is Win500 at Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners . Both are great for the scanners they support.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.