• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Difference between Kenwood Models (TK790, TK7160, TK7360, TK7180, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourbinlabs

I've taken an interest in 900 MHz lately, which resulted in me accumulating a small collection of TK-981 mobiles.

I've come to like these radios, and the fact that used commercial gear can often be found fairly cheap, has me very seriously considering using something similar as a VHF option for a few of my vehicles, or as a temporary option when traveling in a rental vehicle.

I thought about buying a few TK-780's, but it seems that there is newer gear available that offers improvements and refinements over the 780, so I'm trying to better understand the differences between the TK-790, TK-7160, TK-7180, and TK-7360.

• What makes each unit stand out from the others? (ie: What feature's does a 7180 have that a 7160 doesn't)
  • Is the 7360 what superseded the 7160 in Kenwood's 60 series?
  • If any one of these radios could be found in used condition for a reasonable price, which one would you pick and why? (Are some features worth paying more for)
  • Conversely, should any of these models be avoided because of certain quirks or flaws?
  • Are there other radios from Kenwood's commercial lineup (Current or past), that I am overlooking which deserve mention?
Thanks

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber

westcoaster

Buddrousa is on the right track, this is something you will really need to research yourself to understand what features are important to you.

Couple glaring differences to me...

TK-7180 vs. 7160 and 7360 is channel size. 7180 has 512 channels where 7160/7360 has 128
7160 has fairly basic features where 7360 is much more enhanced. Example: 7360 has MDC/Fleetsync, built in inversion scrambler with several scramble codes to choose from....
7180 has MDC/Fleetsync and a built in scrambler but only one inversion code to choose from. 7180 can be equipped with a remote head.

I view the TK-7160 to be the same as its predecessor the TK-760G as the same radio internally (functionally in programming) but wrapped in a "modern" skin.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I've taken an interest in 900 MHz lately, which resulted in me accumulating a small collection of TK-981 mobiles.

I've come to like these radios, and the fact that used commercial gear can often be found fairly cheap, has me very seriously considering using something similar as a VHF option for a few of my vehicles, or as a temporary option when traveling in a rental vehicle.

I thought about buying a few TK-780's, but it seems that there is newer gear available that offers improvements and refinements over the 780, so I'm trying to better understand the differences between the TK-790, TK-7160, TK-7180, and TK-7360.

• What makes each unit stand out from the others? (ie: What feature's does a 7180 have that a 7160 doesn't)
  • If any one of these radios could be found in used condition for a reasonable price, which one would you pick and why? (Are some features worth paying more for)
  • Conversely, should any of these models be avoided because of certain quirks or flaws?
  • Are there other radios from Kenwood's commercial lineup (Current or past), that I am overlooking which deserve mention?
Thanks
Yea, playing with the TK 981 years ago, got me into using KW for other bands. I use the 7180 for VHF just cuz I found a couple of them cheap and they do all I want a 2 mtr rig to do!!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Thanks

I'd probably skip the TK-790 unless you really needed the H model/100 watts. A properly tuned one will work just fine, just an older model compared to the others. Also, has a different programming cable than the rest of them on your list. Maybe not a big issue, but the round mic plug radio programming cables pretty much restrict you to the TK-x90 or TK-5x10 mobiles. Good radios, but if you went with the ones that use the RJ-45 mic plug, you'll find it fits a lot more radios.

TK-790 won't do MDC1200 natively, if you need that. Not a big deal for most hams.

Out of the list, the TK-7180 is probably your best option.
It's a nice radio, I have one in my wife's truck, I think I paid $100 used for it. I put it on the service monitor and it was still pretty close to factory specs, and this guy was at least a few years old.

The TK-7180 allows the use of a remote head kit (KRK-10) which can be handy for some mobile installs. The TK-790 does, also, but the other two models don't.

The TK-7180 will do 512 channels, and for a ham/hobbyist that can be nice. Easy to program in all the simplex channels as well as a ton of repeaters.

If you are interested in 900MHz, consider the NX-901. You could also do an NX-700 for your VHF use, same software, same programming cable.

But any of the radios will work fine, depending on what your exact needs are. Pretty much comes down to display size and channel capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.