TRX-1: Difference between L/O & SKIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobytwo

I may have overlooked this if it has been posted before, but what is the difference between LOCKOUT and SKIP?

ecarvalho

I think skip only lasts until you turn the scanner off... lock out is permanent until you clear it manually... not sure myself
someone else should confirm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikey60

If an object is locked out, it would need to be individually edited to unlock it.

If an object is skipped, it and all other skipped objects may be unlocked through the Restore Skipped option in the main scanner menu. The intent is to be able to temporarily lock out an objects when something is happening and then restore them all at once when the event is complete.

Mike

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Examples of where you might use this in practice:

Generally, skip is a more temporary "lockout," as discussed above.

So why have a lockout? Wouldn't you just not program the object? Well, here is where it is useful:

If you have a trunked system and you use a wildcard (which you should be doing), you would lockout any talkgroups that you do not want to hear.

You might be monitoring a specific conventional frequency. There is interference that you don't want coming from a specific privacy tone. Simply create a new object, that is locked out, with the offending privacy tone squelch, and then your other object will continue to play all other traffic on the frequency.

DonS

You might be monitoring a specific conventional frequency. There is interference that you don't want coming from a specific privacy tone. Simply create a new object, that is locked out, with the offending privacy tone squelch, and then your other object will continue to play all other traffic on the frequency.

The not-locked-out CONV object (without the specific "privacy tone squelch") will continue to receive all traffic that contains that specific "privacy tone squelch". CONV objects as you describe do not work like TGRP objects (wildcard + specific locked-out TGIDs).

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the correction. I suppose that makes sense why there is an "exclude" option in the conventional object squelch settings.

I assume the same holds true for NXDN talkgroups programmed conventionally? If so, I need to issue a correction on another thread.

DonS

Thanks for the correction. I suppose that makes sense why there is an "exclude" option in the conventional object squelch settings.

I assume the same holds true for NXDN talkgroups programmed conventionally? If so, I need to issue a correction on another thread.

Yes, same for NXDN talkgroups. CONV objects are completely independent of each other. Locking out one CONV object has no effect on any other CONV object.

I was about to reply to that other thread...

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
The not-locked-out CONV object (without the specific "privacy tone squelch") will continue to receive all traffic that contains that specific "privacy tone squelch". CONV objects as you describe do not work like TGRP objects (wildcard + specific locked-out TGIDs).

I've also noted that when you set your object to 'reject' a certain squelch tone/code, it doesn't record the squelch codes of the objects that it does allow. Would love to see this updated at some point.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.