Difference between RG58/U and RG58C/U

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassjunkie

Hi,

I have an RFI brand antenna that says to use only RG58C/U, however the local electronics store only sells RG58/U. What is the difference between the two types, if any, and will I suffer any considerable performance loss in using RG58/U?

It is for receiving 400-420 MHz

Thanks

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
In the Belden catalog, RG-58/U has a solid center conductor while RG-58C/U has a stranded center conductor. The solid center conductor type will have less loss at 400 MHz, but both are pretty bad. I would not use either one for a cable more than about 20 feet long.

bassjunkie

It's for a vehicle install. Was going to install on the front end, but might need to reconsider and go for a boot mount if I'm going to get interference from engine noise with that cable type.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It's for a vehicle install. Was going to install on the front end, but might need to reconsider and go for a boot mount if I'm going to get interference from engine noise with that cable type.

The stranded is specified for mobile installations because it's less prone to breakage. The performance difference is negligible.

As to engine noise, it probably doesn't matter what cable you use - the further you can get from the engine and it's noise, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.