Difference? handled and desktop scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsvm2005

Sorry if i am not posting in the correct place but didnt know where to post. I have a question on police scanners. I am looking at handled and desktop scanner, what is the difference on them other than portable. Is one better than the other? Was looking in the the digital one pro-106 and the something but desktop. Are both the same thing? IF someone could specify the difference between them.

Again I know that the handled is portable and the other one is stationary

Thank you for your time

sjlamb

Generally speaking, manufacturers often make two versions of the same radio.... one being a handheld and the other being a base/mobile version. Functions and performance between these sibling models is essentially the same; with the only significant difference being the physical difference in size between them and that the handhelds can operate independent of an external power source by way of batteries.

The comparable companion model to the Radio Shack Pro-106 would be the base/moble Pro-197. GRE's companion to the handheld PSR-500 would be the base/mobile PSR-600. With Uniden, you're companion models would be ones such as the BCD-396XT and the BCD-996XT or the BCD-346XT and the BCT15X. Handhelds are often the obvious choice for increased portability.... mobile use, outdoors and room-to-room applications.
The following is a link to various radio models from various manufacturers for comparison purposes. More or less, you would be looking at models from GRE, Radio Shack (Made by GRE) and Uniden:

Category:Radio Models - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

A desktop scanner also has a bigger display to view and a bigger speaker for hearing. If you have eyesight or hearing issues it may be something to consider.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Again I know that the handled is portable and the other one is stationary

Plenty of good answers in here - but just so it makes more sense if you have more questions, the portable ones are referred to as "handheld" (as in you can hold in your hand) and not "handled".

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I think everyone else assumed that "handled" was a typo....

If it only happened once, I'd agree. But to spell it that way three times in the same post would indicate otherwise.

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
now residing in Ocala, Florida since 1999
comparing a base to a handheld scanner

Greetings friend, I too thought about the differences between a base scanner and a portable scanner of same manufacture/model. I was looking to upgrade from anaolg to digital, so I decided that I wanted to try the Pro-106 handheld scanner. Prior to my purchase, I posted the same question on this site. I was informed that they were of equal operation and ease of use. I was told that no significant differences would be noticed in terms of receive quality, so I wieghed my options. In following with what I had learned, I chose the Pro-106 for its portable useage. After purchasing the 106 handheld unit, I quickly became familiar with it. I studied the owners manual, I read all the RR posts on this model, I experimented with different settings as learned from "The easier to read Pro-106 manual" which is informitive and able to be found on the internet... I even joined blog sites to learn how to ace this scanner and it's capabilities... To make a long story short, a friend came over with his desktop (base) model to the 106, then, I cloned the two units using scanner programming software, and we compaired the two (side by side) with the stock antennas, then compaired recieve using my outdoor mast mounted antenna with a coupler... needless to say, they both performed identicaly, no differences found. A slightly louder volume was noticed on the desktop version, but audio quality remained the same. I was truly pleased to see that they both performed with extreme satidfaction... and then I knew I made the right decision by buying the handheld model... it just made more sense to own a portable type scanner.

Many people new to the hobby try to compare a handheld model to a base desktop model of same model/manufacture. They may assume that since the desktop unit is larger with plentiful room it must accomodate more components or larger electronics made of a better quality... that assumtion is just not correct. I can atest to the comparison, that the two I compared were merely duplicates of each other in different housings. My preference is the handheld style scanner... it always has been. Your needs may differ from mine, and a desktop model might be your final decision, but differences in quality and receive capability do not exist between these two RadioShack models.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Stop or he'll have to put on his exclamation point sheriff's badge

Status
Not open for further replies.