Differences between 1095/1098/trx-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Is there any differences between the 3 besides nxdn and the heads? I want to get one for my car and I'm wondering if I could save some money by getting an older/used model. My area is standard VHF/UHF for fire/EMS and UHF P25 for some LEO (others are VHF) and CHP (whatever new toys they have). I don't plan on doing programming in the field so extra buttons don't really matter to me.

It also may have to live next to mobile dual band HAM radio too at some point.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I could be mistaken, as I don't have a 1095 or 1098, but I think I've seen some posts where one of the differences mentioned is that the TRX has a better front end than its immediate predecessors. What I know for fact is it's far better than my WS1065 in that regard. I use a rooftop antenna, and I live near a bunch of TV & FM radio towers. For me that older 1065 is practically deaf on VHF-Hi unless I use a number of inline notch filters. With those filters the 1065 is very sensitive in that band, nearly as good as my old BC780XLT, but it is nearly useless without them. My TRX-2 though is excellent on VHF-Hi, without using a single filter. I was surprised. Something to consider.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Thanks but, I don't think that's going to matter much where I live. I forgot to mention that I already have a 1080 that does me ok, but I hate pulling it in and out of the car all the time.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
They are essentially the same, assuming you don't care about NXDN or whatever else they might add to the TRX in the future. If you are happy with the 1080, then you already know all about it. Let me know if you find any good deals.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
WS 1095 Limited Keypad NO NUMBERS P25 Phase 1 and 2 Free DMR
WS 1098 FULL NUMERIC KEYPAD P25 Phase 1 and 2 Free DMR
TRX-2 FULL NUMERIC KEYPAD P25 Phase 1 and 2 Free DMR FREE NXDN

Thanks, but I was looking for more of hands or technical experience. My worry is that I'll pick up a 1095 and then find out that there's some bug that was fixed on the 98 or 2.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
They are essentially the same, assuming you don't care about NXDN or whatever else they might add to the TRX in the future. If you are happy with the 1080, then you already know all about it. Let me know if you find any good deals.

That's what I thought, I just wanted to check to see if I missed anything. I haven't found anything special besides people selling second hand devices or places trying to off load the stuff they can't sell.

Joseph11

My worry is that I'll pick up a 1095 and then find out that there's some bug that was fixed on the 98 or 2.

The WS1095 and WS1098 are identical aside from the keypad on the WS1098. Putting a WS1098 head on a WS1095 will turn it into a WS1098.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanesFan95

How is the audio volume output on the TRX-2? Nice and loud? Any better with an external speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.