Different Antenna...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikie333

I was recently with a group doing amatuer satellite monitoring (i posted a similar question there, but its more relevent to the acutal antenna)

the antenna we used was quite interesting, and one i have never seen before. It had 2 'antennas' on one mast. One was a 2m and the other was a 70cm. But it was a 'square' style. On the top, the 2m had a cable going around in a square and below (the 70cm) had a smaller square of cable. Has anyone seen this style before? (to toggle between the 2 different antennas, each had its own independant bnc cable comming out of it). both antenna 'squares' were on a 3 foot (roughly) pole

it worked pretty well for the satellite we were monitoring. In the end, we found the fq. online, found where it would be in the sky, aimed it right, and we picked up a few seconds of morse code.

so my question: has anyone ever seen this antenna or know where i can find one similar?

thanks!

kf4lne

Sounds like a very generic dual band cubical quad. Did it look like this?

3lqalone.jpg

mikie333

extremly similar, but it was vertical, it could be mounted, but we just held it. Ya, the 2m 'square' was on top and then about 8-10" below was the 70cm.

kf4lne

Yeah, I'm betting its a cube quad, very popular antenna for working the easy FM birds, not so popular for working the SSB/CW birds. Its a directional antenna similar to a Yagi but using a different type of radiator. Same basic function tho. What bird were you monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.