• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Different Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

campsteag

Premium Subscriber
What would happen if I used a VHF antenna on a UHF handheld such as a Kenwood TK-3180?

Thanks,
Tyler

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Handheld antennas... Even when matched to the freq of the handheld...are always signal-dropping compromises. Using a VHF antenna on a UHF handheld will not likely do any damage, but will severely reduce your transmitted and receive signals. And the reason you want to do that is.....(?)

Last edited:

campsteag

Premium Subscriber
No reason just wondering thought a vhf antenna had more gain. Would it be ok if I used an old TV antenna on a UHF Base station? reason being our neighborhood is not allowed to have antennas but I have one in my attic.

AgentCOPP1

VHF antennas do not necessarily have more gain. In fact it's slightly easier to get more gain out of UHF antennas for technical reasons that I don't think you care about.

You cannot just pick up a random antenna like from your TV or your basement trash can and expect it to work properly. For every frequency range that you transmit on, you will need a different length antenna (matched to the proper frequency). An equation for antenna length is: 300=Frequency (in MHz) x Wavelength (in meters). You would then divide your wavelength by 4 if you want a quarter wave antenna, 8 if you want a 1/8th antenna etc.

I highly doubt your TV antenna will work unless it has been tuned to a frequency very close to what you want. Also, TV antennas are not designed to transmit signals (only receive) so it could be very sloppily matched and possibly destroy your radio if you try to put too much signal through it. I would strongly advise against it until you could give me more information on the antenna, what radio you have, what frequency you want to transmit on, and what radio service you are using.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
I got an MFJ antenna analyzer last year and in my excitement to play with it I grabbed a massive handful of VHF "rubber ducks" that I had accumulated over the years and started playing with them.

The results were amusing. Some seemed to be resonant somewhere near the VHF band, others were horrible and had SWR's that were unworkable (numbers like "9:1"). SWR doesn't mean all that much if it is within reason, but some of these were horrible. I even had some with an SMA connector on them that came with a brand new VHF perimeter sensor transmitter (made in China) that I think may have actually been a WiFi antenna. I called the US importer and they admitted that they had a problem when they switched from a BNC connector (used on earlier models) to an SMA connector. They simply shipped me an entire new transmitter + antenna free of charge.

Best suggestion I have now is "try it and see how it works".

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.