Any info on the different DMR Types
It looks like there are 3 in the DB
Moto Capacity Plus Single Site
Moto Connect Plus
and Hytera XPT
What is the difference in them if anything

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
From the Hytera web page. "XPT (Extended Pseudo Trunk) is a scalable digital trunking solution that allows you to increase the capacity of an existing conventional DMR system by simply upgrading the current RD982S repeater and DMR radios."

Raccon

From the Hytera web page. "XPT (Extended Pseudo Trunk) is a scalable digital trunking solution that allows you to increase the capacity of an existing conventional DMR system by simply upgrading the current RD982S repeater and DMR radios."
No contradiction to my statement if you consider that the DMR Tier II system after the upgrade is not DMR anymore but becomes XPT instead.

DMR has its own trunking standard (DMR Tier III) and you won't find XPT mentioned anywhere in there.

PJH

Premium Subscriber

That's sales speak for replacing everything but the antenna's and feedline :)

garys

Premium Subscriber
It's likely that they are talking about software upgrades, not new hardware. A lot of the newer systems seem to have different levels of capability based on how the software (firmware) is configured.

Of course, that's still not free. :D

That's sales speak for replacing everything but the antenna's and feedline :)

Raccon

The upgrade is software only. The RD98xS can work in Conventional, DMR Tier II, XPT or DMR Tier III mode, depending on the software that is loaded into it. Same for the radio terminals.

garys

Premium Subscriber
That's how a lot of systems work these days. From what I read, some of the Harris equipment is not only P25 capable, but is backward compatible with EDACS and Pro Voice. Which makes the switchover pretty easy.

I know that some Motorola radios can be both trunked and conventional, as well as analog and P25. All at the same time. Which is pretty cool. But not cheap.

I've been away from public safety and radio systems long enough that I've no doubt fallen a bit behind on the current state of the art. I hear that there are some of them there komputas in vehicles now. ;)

The upgrade is software only. The RD98xS can work in Conventional, DMR Tier II, XPT or DMR Tier III mode, depending on the software that is loaded into it. Same for the radio terminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.