Different gain MIMO Antenna for data on 4GX

Status
Not open for further replies.

CumulonimbusWx

Feed Provider
Hi
Building a mobile internet setup for in vehicle WIFI and has to be capable of streaming video.
I have a USB dongle that is powered on with the vehicle dual battery and relay and is connected to the Australian Telstra 4GX network.
The dongle accepts 2 external antenna to enable MIMO. I have the required pigtails for the connectors. Port one will be connected to the low profile antenna for the hilly areas where the tower drops out MIMO and goes back to SISO.
I am wanting to use 2 different gain mobile antennas. One mounted on the bullbar of the vehicle and on on the rollbar of the ute tray above the roof line.
the antenna are the following:
RFI CD7195 - 3G+4G+4GX Bullbar Mobile Antenna

RFI CSM700 Low Profile 3G+4G+4GX M2M Antenna - 700-2700MHz

Will this work having MIMO transmission of different gain antenna or do the antenna need to be matching gain, model and location on vehicle?

Thanks

headsense

Hi
Building a mobile internet setup for in vehicle WIFI and has to be capable of streaming video.
I have a USB dongle that is powered on with the vehicle dual battery and relay and is connected to the Australian Telstra 4GX network.
The dongle accepts 2 external antenna to enable MIMO. I have the required pigtails for the connectors. Port one will be connected to the low profile antenna for the hilly areas where the tower drops out MIMO and goes back to SISO.
I am wanting to use 2 different gain mobile antennas. One mounted on the bullbar of the vehicle and on on the rollbar of the ute tray above the roof line.
the antenna are the following:
RFI CD7195 - 3G+4G+4GX Bullbar Mobile Antenna

RFI CSM700 Low Profile 3G+4G+4GX M2M Antenna - 700-2700MHz

Will this work having MIMO transmission of different gain antenna or do the antenna need to be matching gain, model and location on vehicle?

Thanks
I don't factually know the answer but it would seem counter intuitive to use two different antenna types.

The point of MIMO is two double the capacity of an RF link using multi-path propagation.

However if the signal is low or patchy the radio will default to single path via the best path.

Ipso facto, my conclusion would be that 2 identical antennas in relatively similar proximity would provide maximum MIMO capacity and two mismatched antennas would have the unit spend more time defaulting to reduced capacity and possibly switching between paths due to the widely variable difference in performance ............ either one or the other and defeating the value of the function.

The antenna supplier you propose to use covers the topic in some detail and a simple phone call I'm sure would answer your question.

Be sure to report back for the benefit of others and to tell me I'm wrong too.

Status
Not open for further replies.