Different Name For The Alberta First Responders' Radio Communication System

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerboy01

I've noticed that the acronym for the radio system is a little hard to pronounce. My suggestion for a different name would be A.R.C.S (Alberta Radio Communication System). Does anyone else have other ideas on what a better acronym would be?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

AFRRCS is the acronym given to the network by the government, we do not have the luxury to just randomly change the name of the network because we , on a hobbiest forum, have difficulty pronouncing it. I am going to bet that someone over at SGPS is going to get a kick seeing this thread!

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

AFRRCS is the acronym given to the network by the government, we do not have the luxury to just randomly change the name of the network because we , on a hobbiest forum, have difficulty pronouncing it.
I'm not really trying to suggest that the Government of Alberta should change the official name for the system, but just what in our opinion could be an easier to pronounce acronym for the system.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Actually, at the very first meeting I was in back whenever the hell that was, years ago, the first thing out of the mouth of the SolGen rep was "..and we're trying to come up with a better name". If you have ideas, I'm sure the Solicitor General's office would take them under advisement. :)

As for pronunciation, the overwhelming majority I've heard from people is "a-farks"... I try to say "the new radio system" myself....

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Personally I prefer AFARTS. If that's not enought to make them change it nothing will:) Didn't an extra letter get inserted since 2008 making it a bit longer? Perhaps the C?

SCPD

QRT
Great idea there HarryShute. I too like AFARTS .... just cause I think that the system really stinks as it will most likely not be monitor-able by us in the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.