Different services in the same town on the same frequency???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pager42

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I just want people's opionions on this matter. I live in a town where several different agencies share a frequency (Same PL tone as well). Ambulance, Public Works, Senior Center, Etc. All on the same channel. I have heard ambulance calls that have been stepped on by a public works, Couldn't this end up being a matter of safety?

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
I just want people's opionions on this matter. I live in a town where several different agencies share a frequency (Same PL tone as well). Ambulance, Public Works, Senior Center, Etc. All on the same channel. I have heard ambulance calls that have been stepped on by a public works, Couldn't this end up being a matter of safety?

You must be in Ledyard 453.9125

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Absolutely Ridiculous!

However, the simple, least expensive way to fix that is just use different PL tones. Why someone would bunch up everyone on the same freq. with the same tones is beyond me. It is fixable as I said, by just using diiferent tones. Thats the quick fix. The best way is for everyone to be on their own separate Freq.

Manny

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
I think you mean 453.9250.

There is a similar situation up in Vernon, CT. Animal Control, Police Explorers, Town Services, Parks/Rec, and anyone who has a bubble pack GMRS radio on Ch 18 can hit 462.6250 (different PLs, except when one idiot randomly used the Police PL... they weren't happy..). It appears to be repeaterized and has quite a distance. I heard it once up in the hills of Litchfield County.

ecps92

Different PL Tone's won't stop anyone from stepping on each other. Just look to the Business Band.

Bad IDEA

Teach them how to use the Radio . Listen, then Push-To-Talk, Release to Listen

However, the simple, least expensive way to fix that is just use different PL tones. Why someone would bunch up everyone on the same freq. with the same tones is beyond me. It is fixable as I said, by just using diiferent tones. Thats the quick fix. The best way is for everyone to be on their own separate Freq.

Manny

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Well, the town doing this is obviously keeping communications at the very bottom of their priority list. So, at least by changing the PL tones, things will be a litttle bit better that they are now and wont seem as costly! Its a given that anything else they will not consider because it will cost too much in someones' eyes! Radio dos'and donts may or may not help.

Manny

mdulrich

Feed Provider
The only thing putting each agency on a different PL is that each agency will only hear themselves. They will be oblivious to other traffic occurring by other agencies and will end up walking over each others transmissions. And with multiple transmissions occurring at the same time the radios may not properly decode the PL, so no radios may end up receiving transmissions. This is situation is NOT what PL is designed for.

Mike

JoeyC

This arrangment may very well work just fine in a small town who may put out one or two ambulance/fire calls a day and a handful of police chatter. Perhaps the public works people need a little education on who has priority to use the freq, or if this is a simplex system it may not even be an issue even if they do occasionally talk over each other.

Pager42

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
453.925 is a repeater, It's crazy, Us ambulance people don't get out own freq but the police get their own uhf repeater, When they usually use CSP channel 37 anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.