Different types of DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

Premium Subscriber
I don't see a Digital category so...... Are there differnent types of DMR as far as the listings and 'paid for' DMR scanner licenses. In other words if I buy a DMR license will it decode everything in RR labelled as DMR or will it not work on certain types of DMR? Where does Mototurbo fit in?
Why do some DMR listings have items like these below and some don't?
CC 7
TG *
SL *
ms lik

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you purchase the DMR key for a Uniden scanner, it will decode all flavors of DMR.

MOTOTRBO is Motorola's brand name for their DMR offerings.

DMR can be either conventional or trunked, similar to P25.

Conventional DMR listings can contain CC (Color Code, equivalent to a P25 NAC), TG (Talkgroup ID), and SL (TDMA Slot). Some listings will have all three values listed, others may only have one or two values listed. Depends on the quality of the submission and what data the submitter was able to obtain.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
* means that someone either didnt sumbit it or doesnt know. We have to enter all fields to add to data base so we use the asterisk.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yeah, the asterisk is a wildcard. It can only be used for the Talkgroup or Slot; the Color Code must be known, otherwise the Tone field must be left blank.

CC ## (0-15)
TG ## (1-16776415 or *)
SL #(1 or 2 or *)

scanmanmi

Premium Subscriber
I guess I am confused by the name. If it's a specific protocol they shouldn't have named it Digital Mobile Radio. I think of all the following as Digital Mobile Radio.
DMR, DSTAR, C4FM,P25,NXDN,LTR,EDACS,Connect Plus, NEXEDGE,OpenSKY,SmartNet,CapacityPlus,
Which ones will a DMR license open?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Any trunked system in the RRDB that says "DMR" or "MOTOTRBO" or "TRBO", along with any "DMR" conventional listings. It's really not that complicated, don't overthink it.

scanmanmi

Premium Subscriber
I'll look into these:

slicerwizard

I guess I am confused by the name. If it's a specific protocol they shouldn't have named it Digital Mobile Radio.
Well, you should take that up with the standards org.

I think of all the following as Digital Mobile Radio.
So stop doing that. What's digital about LTR, EDACS or SmartNet?

DMR, DSTAR, C4FM,P25,NXDN,LTR,EDACS,Connect Plus, NEXEDGE,OpenSKY,SmartNet,CapacityPlus,
Those ones, along with IP Site Connect, Capacity Max, Tier III.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I guess I am confused by the name. If it's a specific protocol they shouldn't have named it Digital Mobile Radio. I think of all the following as Digital Mobile Radio.
DMR is one "flavour" of digital modulation. DSTAR, P25, etc. are other "flavours" and share the commonality of being digital modes, but nothing else. Unfortunately, learning the digital lingo can be frustratingly complicated.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Here is a basic breakdown, and due to it being basic will catch heat from SOME here: Top Level Digital Standard - DMR, Can be applied to three levels, or Tiers in the standard, which apply to licensing, and technical abilities. Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. DMR can be used on VHF High, UHF, 800 MHz, and 900 MHz. I have yet to see it applied to VHF Low yet (Though that could be a future development since they do have P25 on it now.) DMR can be used on Conventional - Simplex, Base/Mobile, Repeater, and a newer format that seems to only be a DMR thing so far - IP Site Connected Conventional (Which is used in the Worldwide Ham DMR set ups like Brandmiester). DMR can be used on Trunking Systems, and here is where the confusion kicks on for many. ***Due to Motorola Solutions literally owning everything about DMR Intellectual Property, everyone refers to anything DMR as "TRBO", short for the Motorola trademarked MotoTRBO.*** And the out of the 4 DMR Trunking flavors we list on the DB, 3 of them are MotoTRBO formats: MotoTRBO Connect Plus, MotoTRBO Capacity Plus, and MotoTRBO Capacity Max. Then there is Tier 3, which can get you confused as MotoTRBO Capacity Max can be configured to use pure Tier 3 standards, or can use certain proprietary standards making it a "hybrid" monster if you will. As for scanners, Uniden paid to fully license the DMR "types" from Motorola Solutions, and passes those costs along to us in the "Paid Upgrade" format, Whistler just puts it directly into the costs of the scanners. If you have a scanner that can do DMR whether it is an Uniden, or Whistler, or other... You can program and monitor Conventional DMR, Connect Plus, Capacity Plus, Capacity Max, Tier 3, and IP Site Connected Conventional DMR. NXDN which includes Kenwood's NexEDGE, and iCOM's iDAS is another Digital Standard and requires another license, thus another upgrade. EDACS ProVOICE is an proprietary digital voice format that only Harris put out and requires yet another license and upgrade. ***This format is officially discontinued and is slowly going away.*** OpenSKY is another digital format completely and again is a Harris creation, and can not be monitored by any scanner, and also is an discontinued format.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
* means that someone either didnt sumbit it or doesnt know. We have to enter all fields to add to data base so we use the asterisk.

It could also be that the repeater/subscribers are using psudo trunking, the radio just picks an open slot, so the talkgroup can show up on either slot. This is quite common around our neck of the woods.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Whistler just puts it directly into the costs of the scanners.

Actually I believe Whistler scanners do not actually "trunktrack" a DMR system. They pretty much just scan the frequencies conventionally without using the control channel data. That is how they get away without charging the update fee.
Nice job on the whole explanation milf.
Hey that's my town abbreviation :p
Bob

a417

ahhh the booming metropolis of milford..right before everyone's favorite bridge on the Merritt.

slicerwizard

***Due to Motorola Solutions literally owning everything about DMR Intellectual Property, everyone refers to anything DMR as "TRBO", short for the Motorola trademarked MotoTRBO.***
Derp. MotoTRBO is Motorola's trademark for their proprietary extensions to DMR. Everyone doesn't refer to DMR as "TRBO". Nor does MS literally own everything about DMR. And as already noted, you're wrong about Whistler. Can't imagine why you thought you'd catch heat...

Status
Not open for further replies.