Digital AGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
My 436 has been driving me crazy on a particular EMS talk group on the Michigan Public Safety Communications System. The base booms in and the mobile units are at a lower volume. The base also is over modulated and hard to understand if the volume is above 5. I figured it was just there base unit.

However I took my PSR-800 to work today to compare and it handles the same talk group just fine base and mobile units are at the same level and sound good. I can leave it a comfortable volume level and not disturb others in the office.

Volume is hard to control at work since there aren't many levels. 1 notch up makes it too loud 1 notch lower too soft. The PSR had 0-30 for volume levels and this radio is 0-15.It's easier to find a good volume level when you have more steps, maybe Uniden can add a few more levels.

Last edited:

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
AGC

Well it's no longer one TG a few more became active today that are just as bad. A volume level of 5 will blow me out of my seat. Then hit scan the next TG's are perfect volume level wise.

Hopefully it gets fixed in the next firmware along with the LED and back light timing and back light brightness level.

Yep, I know exactly what you're saying. I started a thread about that also:

Something wrong with the AGC on the BCD436HP - The RadioReference.com Forums

I've been experimenting with the AGC since day one and honestly I don't think is doing much of what it supposed to. In fact, many times I discern almost no difference when it's On or Off.

BoboPinky

The base booms in and the mobile units are at a lower volume.

Same here, except the revers. My local PD (Culver City, CA), the mobile units are blasting in, regardless of AGC on or off, and the base / dispatch is 50% quieter. My GRE 800, sitting side-by-side with the Uniden is smooth and balanced.

I like some of the features of the 436, but over all I'm VERY unimpressed vs. my GRE.

Brian7M3

Premium Subscriber
I am experiencing the same thing with my local PD, digital 800 MHz. The base is very loud and the mobiles and very soft. AGC makes no difference. Sounds fine on my GRE PSR-500.

whsbuss

I am experiencing the same thing with my local PD, digital 800 MHz. The base is very loud and the mobiles and very soft. AGC makes no difference. Sounds fine on my GRE PSR-500.

Hello UPMan, are you listening? This is not the only thread regarding digital AGC.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Audio Levels

Yes I can run the PSR-800 and the Pro-18 along side of my 436 and the 436 is horrible for Audio levels. The PSR and Pro are nice and even between base and mobiles and from talk group to talk group. I sure hope they fix this.

I can even turn on the PSR 600 and Pro-197 and they blow away the 436 in regards to little or no volume level changes.

Same here, except the revers. My local PD (Culver City, CA), the mobile units are blasting in, regardless of AGC on or off, and the base / dispatch is 50% quieter. My GRE 800, sitting side-by-side with the Uniden is smooth and balanced.

I like some of the features of the 436, but over all I'm VERY unimpressed vs. my GRE.

Status
Not open for further replies.