Digital and Dupage County what am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allen75

Hello everyone first time post here .... I am looking to purchase either a pro 96 or a pro 97 this week and I have read so many post about the never ending " Is my pro 97 useless after rebanding" threads. I guess I'll take a somewhat different take at the topic and ask this .... As far as digital goes what will I be missing if I go with the pro 97? I live in OakBrook which is Dupage County but being so close to the border of Cook County I also receive Cook really clear as well and all the Chicago PD and Chicago Fire etc. I am using my fathers old BearCat scanner now so I would like to get someting newer. Price is not a issue but more importantly what I will be missing with a non digital scanner. Thank you

FCVPI99

from what radio shack has said the pro 97 can not be rebanded....

i have had both the base and hand helds of the pro 97/2055 96/2096

I think the pro 97 is a better radio it sounds better and it picks up on analog trunking faster although if u want to hear elk grove go with the 96/2096 since they are digital

FYI i would wate a few more months till the new GRE/radioshack radios come out off the top of my head i dont know there pro numbers

i traded my 2096 for a Bc 796 worst mistake of my life the 796 is really a POS
and i just sold my 97 to my sister (gana be geting the new one in a few months when it comes out i love my 2055 with all my heart but since im in palatine now (digital land) my 96 has become my man scanner

also u have to think the future i have heard rumers that dupage will be useing starcom 21 alot....... which it digital but its the 700 band which the 96 can do (it just doesnt do the control channel only thing) u have to program all the freqs in lik eon older trunking radios

my buddy just got a BC 996 there is a handheld version of it i think its the 396 that tracks the 700's he says it sounds great but i cant tell one way or the other since i have only heard it over a phone... and the next newest radio he has is a 2035 so...

it all depends on what you wana hear and how much u wana spend!!!!!

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"which it digital but its the 700 band which the 96 can do (it just doesnt do the control channel only thing) u have to program all the freqs in lik eon older trunking radios"

INCORRECT. The Pro96 cannot now (and never will be able to no matter how you program) trunktrack 700MHz frequencies.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Rob is correct, i live in Joliet-Will Co , its very difficult to hear the new Starcom testing on my PRO96/2096 unless your in the area of one of the 800mgz towers.The system should be in operation soon..Where your at the main tower is T101 and it is 700mgz...If your truly in to scanning i would buy the Uniden 396, it works fantastic...You could NOT be hearing Cook Co Sherrif anymore, there on a 800mgz trunk "Encrypted" system now....Thank heavans Chicago PD is still UHF analog...Also, rumor is that Dupage Co is thinking "digital " for the near future also as they have i think already voted for a purchase.....

N9JIG

Sheriff
FCVPI99 said:
mine must be broke then
all i did was program all freqs. and lock out CC and it sounds fine on mine

What Rob is saying is that the Pro96/2096 can not TrunkTrack on 700 MHz. What you are doing is monitoring the comunications in conventional mode. This is effective on systems that are not very busy but you won't be able to ID any talkgroups.

Now, there has been some talk of using the Pro96/2096 Tables programming to allow tracking of 700 MHz. trunking but I have never tried it and can not say whether it works or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.