• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Digital audio on GMRS band

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepBlue

There was a -large- nationwide radio shop that got busted for putting commercial users on GMRS frequencies many years ago. They were not the first, and I'm sure they won't be the last. Lots of schools being dumped on GMRS either by radio shops or IT guys that don't understand radio.

I noted about a year back that a LARGE construction firm here in town had been sold a system that was basically using CH 19 CB but on FM from a group based out of NJ. I told him the ramifications with it but he seemed unconcerned at the time. He was looking for someone to help fix his system, on a tower. Said all his trucks were on CH 19 F or something like that. He luckily had the frequency handy. Yep, channel 19.

S.

Blink962

Thanks for all the response this signal was definitely heard on repeater side of the frequency on 462.550. Picked it up loud and clear on my end so it's definitely not on FRS and not on simplex either.

bharvey2

Well, it certainly could be a radio shop using it as a dumping ground.
Could be some amateurs assuming their license covers all spectrum, including GMRS and public safety, we know there are a few out there.
Could be some random dude who bought Cheap Chinese Digital Radios and doesn't know any better.

I suspect we'll hear more and more of this as time goes on.

That would be my guess as well. I've run across dealers who sell radios that are programmed up for the more common itinerant business or GMRS frequencies with no thought to the users application. I could scan some of the more common ones in my area on a daily basis and find the same users day in and day out. - Nothing itinerant about them. I'm sure those selling the radios know full well that FCC won't do any enforcement.

nd5y

I have heard DMR on GMRS/FRS channels several times but they were moving and by the time I got DSD running they were gone or quit talking. It was probably people passing through town.

bharvey2

Thanks for all the response this signal was definitely heard on repeater side of the frequency on 462.550. Picked it up loud and clear on my end so it's definitely not on FRS and not on simplex either.

If not a test one (I confirmed with my contact that I mentioned earlier and he isn't involved with one in your area) It could be a rogue repeater operator. At one time there were several linked together in the midwest, around the Great Lakes, I think. They were advertising there repeaters as a GMRS/DMR system. I don't see any mention of them anymore so I kind of wonder if they were so blatant that the FCC had to take them to task.

Blink962

I have heard DMR on GMRS/FRS channels several times but they were moving and by the time I got DSD running they were gone or quit talking. It was probably people passing through town.
I wish it was really but it happens during the early to late evening time. Sometimes it gets so bad that any station is not digital you can forget talking.

CaptDan

I'm fine with analog voice on GMRS and MURS, what I think would be fantastic is allowing a digital transmission of the radio ID, so my repeater could only accept transmissions from radios whose digital ID has been entered into the system. Would be like a PL code, except not able to be scanned with a normal radio. Most, even the CCR have the capability of scanning for a PL code and then they just chat away with no regard for the repeater owner/operator.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm fine with analog voice on GMRS and MURS, what I think would be fantastic is allowing a digital transmission of the radio ID, so my repeater could only accept transmissions from radios whose digital ID has been entered into the system. Would be like a PL code, except not able to be scanned with a normal radio. Most, even the CCR have the capability of scanning for a PL code and then they just chat away with no regard for the repeater owner/operator.

MDC1200, FleetSync, etc will handle that. I even recall someone running single channel LTR many years ago to keep people on his repeater.

bharvey2

MDC1200, FleetSync, etc will handle that. I even recall someone running single channel LTR many years ago to keep people on his repeater.

There are a few guys I hear on some GMRS repeaters that have MDC enabled on their radios. The repeaters aren't using it for filtering out the "ne'r do wells" though. As many of them are commercial radio nerds, I suspect they just program up their work radios and don't bother with the MDC on the GMRS channels. Using LTR to keep the riff raff of a repeater is worthwhile though. It might make more sense these days. Most of the commercial LTR repeaters have moved to DMR or NXDN in my area so I'm sure there is an abundance of LTR radios available. Heck, I use them for the managers at work to to decode the MDC signalling, keeping track of who is transmitting.

DeepBlue

I'm hearing some occasional digital traffic on GMRS 2 here in Columbus, Ohio lately. Could be control stuff happening. I haven't bothered to put my AOR DV-1 on it just yet. Might be a good thing to sniff out at work one of these days. It's not a shortsound so it may be voice traffic but it's very intermittent.

S.

Status
Not open for further replies.